Welcome to Guest. Please log in or sign up.

July 08, 2024, 02:58:05 AM

Recent

Shoutbox

Razaron:
2024 May 14 17:54:07
The website has never looked better!
Zakarah:
2023 Dec 29 21:06:51
I think Rashka.exe has stopped working.
Rashka:
2023 Dec 28 20:49:43
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA... A.
Realyn/Eliff:
2023 Jul 22 22:17:06
Such shouty people in here, gosh.
Rashka:
2023 Jul 20 01:42:16
Remember to shout your lungs out every once in a while!!
Kozgugore:
2023 Jul 08 17:30:53
Shouting here to make sure everyone knows that I'm still here!
Ootah:
2022 Jan 24 23:27:52
Wow I can't believe I remembered my password!
Razaron:
2021 Dec 18 15:37:28
<dances>
Vraxxar:
2021 Nov 10 12:24:52
Remember to check both ways before crossing the plains!
Vraxxar:
2021 May 22 14:10:40
I too am testing the shoutbox for non-nefarious reasons.
Kozgugore:
2021 May 22 13:55:49
This is me testing the shoutbox, because shouting is a great stress relief and it would be a shame if it doesn't work.
Rashka:
2021 Mar 25 03:38:20
IM SHOUTING SO HARD RIGHT NOW YOU GUYS.
Claws:
2020 Nov 20 00:14:09
Ice cream for all
Realyn/Eliff:
2020 Oct 09 09:49:55
Happy Anniversary!!! It's party timeeee!
Vraxxar:
2020 Sep 24 12:39:42
Oh god. The warlock found the shoutbox!
Gashuk:
2020 Sep 23 16:42:21
THE SHOUTBOX. Omg. This was like proto-Discord.
Vraxxar:
2020 Aug 23 09:36:02
*Grabs a camera to record what happens*
Nakobu:
2020 Aug 22 16:24:43
*prods shoutbox*
Razaron:
2020 Jun 16 10:34:12
<dances>
Vraxxar:
2020 Jun 05 13:32:27
Swedish Pagans?
Members
  • Total Members: 1195
  • Latest: brad
Stats
  • Total Posts: 33083
  • Total Topics: 3067
  • Online Today: 85
  • Online Ever: 440
  • (January 13, 2020, 10:14:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 35
Total: 35
35 Guests, 0 Users

Another world

Started by Rukgar, March 13, 2009, 04:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rukgar

Inspired by today's inspiring meeting between ORB, 2nd Gurubashi, Mistrunners, thieves and whom not, we had an inspired  talk with mister Norvis  about inter-guild relations of WoW in  general.
This, in turn inspired yet another nostalgia infested babble spree about Ultima Online, the game that popped my MMO cherry.
The babble spree in turn inspired a WWW browsing spree to old Ultima sites.
There's loads  of tradition and..errr.. stuff in there! And 12 years worth of hard core role playing.

Figured this stuff might make an entertaining read for some bored green skin out there. Always nice to gaze in another worlds.
These are home sites or wiki sites of RP guilds/communities of Ultima Online.

Orcs of Tolagâl
http://wiki.moongates.org/Orcs_of_Tolag%C3%A2l
Our orc brothers and sisters from another wolrd!!
The guild itself is long dead, but the wiki page makes a good read.
Ultima never had any playable races, other than humans. So orc players had to find an orc mask, dye their armor green and use imagination!

Guardsmen Militia
http://www.grd-europa.co.uk/
1st RP guild I ever joined in an MMO. They play medieval, somewhat uncivilized and paranoid town militia. Witch burning and road taxes, magery and magical weapons strictly forbidden. good stuff!

Europa Role Players Association
http://wiki.moongates.org/ERPA
Essentially The Covenant of "Europa" server of UO.
(Also the carefully hidden ninja agenda of this thread!)

In Wow language, something like:
About 6 horde and 6 alliance guilds make an agreement to focus virtually all of their RP in same zone. Essentially turning a zone (say, Arathi highlands) their own hangout and home base, an RP world within a world.
These 12 guilds  interact and RP together in dynamic fashion, both during  scheduled  events and outside events. The guilds in the alliance all follow same ruleset and code of conduct, and essentially write their own story ignoring much of the outside world.

Ideally, such setting could bring much certain direly needed randomness in (role)play.
Imho lack of dynamics and interaction with other role players out there is a massive drag in WoW.
There are several active RP guilds in horde side. Yet, its extremely odd to randomly meet up with any of them. (Or is it just me? I am very new to RP in WoW and extremely new to this server, so this might well be!)
I.e if I wanted to meet up with one of the 60 thieves I'd have to /who their guild, whisper the thief, schedule a meeting. I  can't just go into their hangout, or randomly stumble into a thief.

Wouldn't things be much more fun  if, instead of having some 160-ish roleplayers (H+A) scattered in their own little pockets between 3 massive  continents+Outlands, have them all interact together in their own little world within world?

Norv

Cheers, Ruk! And thanks for the work on it! Yes, actually, we should be trying to make an inter-guild RP focus. And indeed what we witnessed tonight was ... inspiring be the word! There is a lot of life in the RP guilds on Horde side, even in a time like this when the game seems stalled somehow. And inter-guild relations should be better managed to turn it into more IC interaction.

We'll be doing that. Preparations will take some time though, and we should let the first waves of the current war campaign pass as well I guess.
But we'll be doing that.
Would be nice to find a good zone also...
"If it ain't broke, I can fix it!
... Oh wait."

Rukgar

Hay no problem, it was nice  to check out UO sites for a change. Saddening to see how dead the game appears to be now. WoW really hit it quite hard.

It's very difficult to create such alliance I am sure, amount of diplomacy required.../shivers
Some steps might not be very hard to take though?
Imho it would be good to get some alliance guilds under the same roof with us  for example. Is there any good reason why Alliance guilds shouldn't be in Covenant?. That alone could make arranging various pvp encounters and whatnot much easier.

P.s sorry if I sound overly..I don't know a word that should go here..humm.. eager?
I don't mean to come across as this " hay guys ok heres what we do!!!" person., I'm no officer of any of the organizations involved  nor do I ever want to be!
None of the ideas presented are my own, just passing along what I saw in UO. Atleast there, such alliance of guilds trulyworks GREAT.

When it comes to zone (haha, I realize saying this is thinking ahead would be a massive understatement! But it's fun to play with these thoughts.)I guess some sort of a compromiss is the only way to go. Can't pick Durotar or Nagrand without Alliance feeling bummed and potentially unmotivated, can't pick Elwynn Forest or other repulsive human place for opposing reasons.
Such zone would prolly need to be contested for practical reasons, and withing a convinient distance from Dalaran/Shattrath portals(read: racial capitals)
Something fairly lowbie friendly.. atleast WOTLK zones would have to be out of question? Or else  it makes life of low lvl players very difficult.

I wonder if people in general would find this exiting at all.  Do YOU find it exiting?
Could be guilds feel settled and comfy in their own private hang outs, and extremely unmotivated to move away from their " homes"
I imagine 2nd Gurubashi are very firmly settled in STV, some dorf riflemen in their dorf holes, and so forth.

gatsnorg

well, say something in /redorc and get to the Drag if you want to meet a thief... I'm sure I can arrange something ;)

Norv

Quote from: Rukgar on March 13, 2009, 09:21:15 AM

Imho it would be good to get some alliance guilds under the same roof with us  for example. Is there any good reason why Alliance guilds shouldn't be in Covenant?. That alone could make arranging various pvp encounters and whatnot much easier.

Actually, it is. The Covenant is an IC alliance, with a declared purpose that includes essentially "defending the Horde". It'd be a little difficult to find an Alliance guild that shares the same interest... *whistles innocently, as innocent as an orc can be*

But Alliance has its own multi-guild "council" or something of the kind, or so I remember I vaguely heard. Will check eventually.
"If it ain't broke, I can fix it!
... Oh wait."