Welcome to Guest. Please log in or sign up.

June 26, 2024, 01:49:31 AM

Recent

Shoutbox

Razaron:
2024 May 14 17:54:07
The website has never looked better!
Zakarah:
2023 Dec 29 21:06:51
I think Rashka.exe has stopped working.
Rashka:
2023 Dec 28 20:49:43
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA... A.
Realyn/Eliff:
2023 Jul 22 22:17:06
Such shouty people in here, gosh.
Rashka:
2023 Jul 20 01:42:16
Remember to shout your lungs out every once in a while!!
Kozgugore:
2023 Jul 08 17:30:53
Shouting here to make sure everyone knows that I'm still here!
Ootah:
2022 Jan 24 23:27:52
Wow I can't believe I remembered my password!
Razaron:
2021 Dec 18 15:37:28
<dances>
Vraxxar:
2021 Nov 10 12:24:52
Remember to check both ways before crossing the plains!
Vraxxar:
2021 May 22 14:10:40
I too am testing the shoutbox for non-nefarious reasons.
Kozgugore:
2021 May 22 13:55:49
This is me testing the shoutbox, because shouting is a great stress relief and it would be a shame if it doesn't work.
Rashka:
2021 Mar 25 03:38:20
IM SHOUTING SO HARD RIGHT NOW YOU GUYS.
Claws:
2020 Nov 20 00:14:09
Ice cream for all
Realyn/Eliff:
2020 Oct 09 09:49:55
Happy Anniversary!!! It's party timeeee!
Vraxxar:
2020 Sep 24 12:39:42
Oh god. The warlock found the shoutbox!
Gashuk:
2020 Sep 23 16:42:21
THE SHOUTBOX. Omg. This was like proto-Discord.
Vraxxar:
2020 Aug 23 09:36:02
*Grabs a camera to record what happens*
Nakobu:
2020 Aug 22 16:24:43
*prods shoutbox*
Razaron:
2020 Jun 16 10:34:12
<dances>
Vraxxar:
2020 Jun 05 13:32:27
Swedish Pagans?
Members
  • Total Members: 1195
  • Latest: brad
Stats
  • Total Posts: 33083
  • Total Topics: 3067
  • Online Today: 78
  • Online Ever: 440
  • (January 13, 2020, 10:14:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 75
Total: 75
75 Guests, 0 Users

I need advice!

Started by Thrash'Nak, October 19, 2012, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thrash'Nak

As some of you may know, i've gotten the amazing idea of making Grogona a monk, and i know as well many thinks i've made her quite.. mary sueish.. which is something i intend to make up for.. Heres the short version of it.
Right now Grogona is a blademaster, sworn to do her duty and obey any commands from the chieftain, is trained to kill, uses -blades-... and isn't really a monk kind of orc.

So now that we know that i wanna tell you about the idea i first had of Grogona when i made her. If anyone has watched naruto, you'll remember rock lee and his drunken fist.. That was in a really short version a male version of Grogona. Never give up, always train, a kind of silly personality and a secret up his sleeve, the drunken fist.. basicly a martial arts master. That was the basic idea.

when i then thought how i'd put this into Wow i noticed that we don't have such a class, i thought the closest might be either shaman or rogue.. but since i didn't like shamans gameplay wise i choose a rogue.. went fine for a while, but it didn't really feel right.. so i made up a whole new character, Grogona. I then joined up with ORB and to keep her intresting i decieded i'd give myself a challenge and ask Krogon to train me as a blademaster, great fun, i still enjoy it. When the news about monks, pandarens and so forth hit.. i was kinda bumped because i didn't wait for it.. But now that i can actually be one.. i'd really like to do so.. as this was the first idea.

So why don't i just do that? The thing is monks strive for balance, peace and likes to avoid conflict, where as blademasters cares little for his personal gain, if at all, all he/her cares about is his duty to his people, cleansing the world of demons, ect, ect. So i can't be a blademaster-monk.
Then i was given the idea of just putting some kung fu into the mix. The thing is, that blademasters uses.. blades.. obviousely and i wouldn't see it fit to use that combat style, -while- jumping around going all kung fu crazy on everyone.

So what do i do? I can't really say "Hey.. er.. i don't wanna be a blademaster anymore. *Shrug*" Grogona would never do such, as she is now.

So basicly i'm looking for advice how to continue this, what valid reasons do i have to quit being a blademaster?

One thing i've thought of as of know would be that she has a cub in about 6-7 months. Any suggestions? Anything is appreciated, thanks.
Nothing comes easy, and besides nothing easy is worth having.

Regorn

We had a similer talk with Krogon about the same thing basicly, you can look at our post there (not much, but something is posted there), if I were to say the same here I whould just be copy pasta it

http://orcsoftheredblade.com/forum/index.php?topic=3067.0
"Names does not matter, only who you are" - An old Friend from past, Thar'grash Thunderfury

Sadok

The ethos of the Blademaster and the monk are not strictly incompatible, and indeed a monk uses a weapon for several of its abilities.

If you intend to become a monk, the best way forward would be to expose Grogona to pandaren and/or monk philosophies (balance, reining in emotions, meditation and reflection), consider why the character would be attracted to said philosophies, and slowly incorporate them into her thought pattern and fighting style - the transition needn't be instant or harmonious, and you can wring a lot of interesting RP out of trying to reconcile the various contradicting beliefs of Blademaster and monk.

In short, a slow and gradual transition with underlying reason can make it work if you consider your character's motivations for making the change. A simple on/off transition would be both jarring and unsatisfying from a position of character growth and development.

The 'how' is rather simple. Considering the 'why' is integral.

Therak

I don't see monk and Blademaster as impossible to combine. In fact, monks got many moves that could be blademaster-ish. Remember that you can still for example dual wield swords. Therak's already been telling her off when she loses her temper, and needs to stay in control of it.
It would take a lot of character change before you'd be fully a "monk" especially with attitude and temper, but it's perfectly doable.
Go with what you feel like, just make sure. That it's something you think through, the hows, the whys and more importantly, will you actually like the change?
Think, assess, act.

Revax

Actually, the only ability a monk uses its weapons for is Jab, and that is removable with a glyph.

Also, its a misconception that monks would strive for peace and actively avoid conflict. Pandaren monks from Pandaria might walk along those lines, but not the Huojin pandaren. Inner peace and harmony, yes, but to stop the war and make peace? No way.

My monk is an old orc, having always been a brawler all the way since his youth on draenor, now gradually learning a trick or two from the pandaren monks.

Maybe something can happen to grogona, which makes her hang her weapons on the wall? A vow not to use them until....?

Thrash'Nak

Thanks alot! I had actually only hoped for two replys at max, really appreciated! :)
And i think i'll try and make it work. Grekthar and i already talked about training grog with his monk, so that is surely gonna be some intresting roleplay, we'll see what happens. Again thanks. :)
Nothing comes easy, and besides nothing easy is worth having.

Revax

Also, remember that the monk unarmed fighting style came up because they had no access to weapons, not because they didnt want to use them :)