Orcs of the Red Blade

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 04:36:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Shoutbox

Zakarah:
2023 Dec 29 20:06:51
I think Rashka.exe has stopped working.
Rashka:
2023 Dec 28 19:49:43
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA... A.
Realyn/Eliff:
2023 Jul 22 21:17:06
Such shouty people in here, gosh.
Rashka:
2023 Jul 20 00:42:16
Remember to shout your lungs out every once in a while!!
Kozgugore:
2023 Jul 08 16:30:53
Shouting here to make sure everyone knows that I'm still here!
Ootah:
2022 Jan 24 22:27:52
Wow I can't believe I remembered my password!
Razaron:
2021 Dec 18 14:37:28
<dances>
Vraxxar:
2021 Nov 10 11:24:52
Remember to check both ways before crossing the plains!
Vraxxar:
2021 May 22 13:10:40
I too am testing the shoutbox for non-nefarious reasons.
Kozgugore:
2021 May 22 12:55:49
This is me testing the shoutbox, because shouting is a great stress relief and it would be a shame if it doesn't work.
Rashka:
2021 Mar 25 02:38:20
IM SHOUTING SO HARD RIGHT NOW YOU GUYS.
Claws:
2020 Nov 19 23:14:09
Ice cream for all
Realyn/Eliff:
2020 Oct 09 08:49:55
Happy Anniversary!!! It's party timeeee!
Vraxxar:
2020 Sep 24 11:39:42
Oh god. The warlock found the shoutbox!
Gashuk:
2020 Sep 23 15:42:21
THE SHOUTBOX. Omg. This was like proto-Discord.
Vraxxar:
2020 Aug 23 08:36:02
*Grabs a camera to record what happens*
Nakobu:
2020 Aug 22 15:24:43
*prods shoutbox*
Razaron:
2020 Jun 16 09:34:12
<dances>
Vraxxar:
2020 Jun 05 12:32:27
Swedish Pagans?
Kozgugore:
2020 Jun 01 08:45:09
You're invoking the wrong gods in this place!
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 33082
  • Total Topics: 3067
  • Online Today: 108
  • Online Ever: 440
  • (January 13, 2020, 10:14:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 57
Total: 57
57 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Alone  (Read 1990 times)

Gridish

• Path of Strength
  • Venerable
    • View Profile
Alone
« on: April 26, 2018, 09:55:35 PM »
This story takes place six months after the events of “a sacrifice too many”

18 months ago
”Clunk!” echoed pickaxe as it slammed against the rock, swiftly followed by a dozen more. Gridish was slowly chipping a rock away in a shallow manmade cavern. With every twentieth strike Gridish channeled light traces of Arcane magic into the head of his pickaxe to support his mining efforts. Gridish experienced light surges of Arcane power ever since another prisoner took a swing at Gridish’ neck with his pickaxe, barely missing his neck and instead scraping the warded neck bracelet. However all attempts of contacting the Tribe through the spirit link have been unsuccessful. After splitting a rock into pieces Gridish rested the head of his pickaxe on the stone hard floor as he wiped the sweat from his forehead and took a moment to catch a breath. Every so often he would do exactly that to inspect his surroundings. Around him were several others, mixed races, chipping away at the shallow cavern. All of them connected by a single chain that stretched across the cavern, connected to the cuffs that were attached to their right legs. Each of the captives wore tattered cloths and seemed malnourished. The mining grounds consisted of the shallow manmade cavern, a circular field that was surrounded by steep rocky mountainsides that were patrolled by Orc and Tauren bruisers.  On the opposite side of the small field was the only feasible way out: A gap where the mountainsides would meet to make what seemed to be a perfect circle. Thick roots branching from the ground, forming an archway for the gap. Both sides of the gap were guarded by Tauren and Orcish bruisers. ”OI! Get back to work ye sack of crap! We didn’t pay big bucks for you to stand around!” an armed Orc shouted. The Orc, accompanied by two armed Tauren, made their way to Gridish. ”Did ye hear me?! I said-.” The Orc paused as he leaned torwards Gridish. Gridish stared at the Orc sheepishly. ”GET. BACK. TO. WORK!” the Orc shouted as he attempted to shove Gridish off his feet. Gridish sidestepped the shove with relative ease and watched the Orc continue his momentum in a downward trajectory towards the ground. Gridish slid in between the falling Orc and the two Tauren before the Tauren could respond, blocking the Tauren’s sight and yanking a key from the falling Orc’s belt unnoticed. Gridish swiftly shoved the key up one of his tattered sleeves before anyone noticed the item in his hand. The two Tauren stepped closer as a result, but stood down when they realized Gridish picked up his pickaxe and had resumed chipping away at the rocks in front of him. The fallen Orc, clueless to what actually happened, scrambled to his feet and growled at Gridish ”Watch it runt… I’ll get ye someday.”. The armed Orc spat near Gridish’ feet and walked away, followed by the two Tauren. Gridish couldn’t contain a grin from forming on his face.

Later that night
Gridish lay in a small shifty tent on the circular field. The grounds were dimly lit by torches, making it hard to observe the processes that take place at night. Yet he has had enough time to study the guards’ patterns and mannerisms during his six months’ imprisonment. The grounds were dimly lit by torches, making it hard to place all the guards. Around Gridish were the accommodations of the other prisoners. The guards patrolled the outskirts of the makeshift camp. What he had planned was farfetched, but it seemed to be his only option. Tonight’s target wasn’t the well-guarded gap to freedom. Instead Rimeweaver’s focus was a less steep section of the circular field’s rocky border which was covered behind a large supply tent. The challenge was getting behind the supply tent unseen. Once the patrolling guard had passed Gridish, he would have about 10 minutes before the next patrol would take place. ”I’m finally comin’ home, Kogra” Gridish thought to himself as he heard footsteps slowly approach. He watched the patrol of two Tauren walk passed his tent. ”It’s now or never.” he thought to himself once more. He grabbed the key and carefully unlocked the cuff without trying to rattle the chain. Once he was free from the chain, he looked around him to make sure none of the remaining bruisers though it was hard to make out in the dark. ”sod it..” Gridish whispered to himself as he pushed himself up, got out to his tent and made his way to the supply tent while staying low to the ground. The supply tent was only a few feet away, but it felt like miles. It felt like the closer he got the further it was. ”Lights on ladies. We’ve got a runner!” a voice shouted from the darkness and suddenly spotlights illuminated the field which blinded Gridish and stopped him in his tracks. It felt like he hit a wall. Perhaps he ran to far. Was he already at the stone barrier? Gridish tried to open his eyes, but the lights burned bright on his reticles that he was forced to close them again. ”Would yelook at that! If it isn’t runt!” the voice shouted and started to cackle. Gridish lowered his head and sighed. ”Wat is it, runt? Ye’thought ye’could escape? Well, I’m glad to inform you that you. Were. Wrong.” the guard Orc said laughing. ”Alright ladies. Rough the runt up for his misbehavior and put him back on that chain where he belongs.” the Orc commanded and several bruisers closed in on Gridish and Gridish was once again blinded, only this time by the darkness of unconsciousness.

The following night
Gridish lay in his tent, his entire body aching and his hopes decimated. The plan he has been working towards for the past six months destroyed in the blink of an eye. Yet another failed attempt to add to the list. Was it his destiny to die in this hole? Will Kogra ever find out the reason behind his disappearance? Gridish sighed and closed his eyes. Suddenly he felt wind blow on his face as if something cut through the air above him. He opened his eyes to see a silhouette hover above his face. ”Gridish..” a familiar voice whispered. Gridish grunted in response. ”How are you holding up..?” the voice continued to whisper. A faint smile appeared on Gridish’ face as he realized who it was. ”Contemplatin’…” Gridish responded, whispering to the familiar. ”Does the groundskeeper know yer secret? Does he know what ye are?” Gridish asked Lofty. The familiar dropped onto the Orc’s stomach and kept quiet as a guard made his round. Once the guard continued his round Lofty responded ”As far as he knows… I’m just some lifeless book.. the familiar wanted to snicker but decided against it for obvious reasons. The two let a moment of silence arise before Lofty continued: ”So… What’s the plan..?” Lofty asked Gridish carefully. Gridish let out a sigh before responding. “I don’t know, Lofty. Every attempt I make fails. People are let down. People die… I-..eh.. I just don’t know. What’s worth fightin’ for? My oldest friend is dead. One of his companions that he entrusted me with is dead.. The other is Grom knows where. Kogra probably thinks I’m dead-… I might as well be.”. The Orc sighed again before the familiar responded. ”Gridish. You’re not alone. You have me, you have the other prisoners and when we get out of this situation, you can return to Kogra and explain what happened… Then you’ll have her too! For now do what you do best. Rally the troops. Gather the pack and fight fire with fire. You’re a Rrosh’tul for a reason. Gridish raised a brow as he thought about what Lofty said. ”Yer Right, Lofty… Though this will take time. I’d need to convince everyone. Then we’d need to put a plan in motion.” Gridish said as he contemplated the idea. Lofty let out a snicker ”Of course I’m right… I’m always right. Anyways.. I need to go. The longer I’m here the bigger the chance is that they’ll notice that I’m gone. We’ll stay in touch as much as we can, Gridish. I have faith in you. Don’t  let your inner flame die. Keep on fighting… for Kogra!” Lofty said before he jolted off. ”That familiar never stops amazing me..” Gridish thought to himself as he contemplated how he would pull this off.
Gridish Rimeweaver

Gridish

• Path of Strength
  • Venerable
    • View Profile
Re: Alone
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 09:57:32 PM »
Ok... I said it'd be 3 stories.... but shoving 2 years into one story didn't give the results I wanted. It would either be too large or i'd skip over too much. Hopefully with the pasing I have in mind for the 4th (AND HOPEFULLY FINAL) story, the story will turn out as I imagined this one would for the full two years. Hope you guys enjoy as I actually rewrote a few parts a couple of times.
Gridish Rimeweaver

Okiba

• Path of Strength
  • Alpha
  • Warrior Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 10:39:05 AM »
Awesome story as ever Gridish San!

And while you've cut down on the bulk paragraphs, they could each (of all three) have done with being broken into 3 paragraphs each.

A few taps of the space bar makes a world of difference and improves ease of read.

Still, loved the story. I'm intrigued to see what Gridish has planned!   ;D
Okiba Spearbreaker - Nag'Ogar and Warrior Monk of the Horde
"Strength, Discipline, Mastery."

Gridish

• Path of Strength
  • Venerable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 10:44:20 AM »
Yeh, solid feedback bud.
Admittedly I wrote this around midnight and reread it the next day ignoring the spacing a bit. Could've indeed done with more ^^.

Glad you enjoyed it. on t nr 4 we go. :p
Gridish Rimeweaver