Orcs of the Red Blade

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 02:05:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Shoutbox

Zakarah:
2023 Dec 29 20:06:51
I think Rashka.exe has stopped working.
Rashka:
2023 Dec 28 19:49:43
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA... A.
Realyn/Eliff:
2023 Jul 22 21:17:06
Such shouty people in here, gosh.
Rashka:
2023 Jul 20 00:42:16
Remember to shout your lungs out every once in a while!!
Kozgugore:
2023 Jul 08 16:30:53
Shouting here to make sure everyone knows that I'm still here!
Ootah:
2022 Jan 24 22:27:52
Wow I can't believe I remembered my password!
Razaron:
2021 Dec 18 14:37:28
<dances>
Vraxxar:
2021 Nov 10 11:24:52
Remember to check both ways before crossing the plains!
Vraxxar:
2021 May 22 13:10:40
I too am testing the shoutbox for non-nefarious reasons.
Kozgugore:
2021 May 22 12:55:49
This is me testing the shoutbox, because shouting is a great stress relief and it would be a shame if it doesn't work.
Rashka:
2021 Mar 25 02:38:20
IM SHOUTING SO HARD RIGHT NOW YOU GUYS.
Claws:
2020 Nov 19 23:14:09
Ice cream for all
Realyn/Eliff:
2020 Oct 09 08:49:55
Happy Anniversary!!! It's party timeeee!
Vraxxar:
2020 Sep 24 11:39:42
Oh god. The warlock found the shoutbox!
Gashuk:
2020 Sep 23 15:42:21
THE SHOUTBOX. Omg. This was like proto-Discord.
Vraxxar:
2020 Aug 23 08:36:02
*Grabs a camera to record what happens*
Nakobu:
2020 Aug 22 15:24:43
*prods shoutbox*
Razaron:
2020 Jun 16 09:34:12
<dances>
Vraxxar:
2020 Jun 05 12:32:27
Swedish Pagans?
Kozgugore:
2020 Jun 01 08:45:09
You're invoking the wrong gods in this place!
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 33082
  • Total Topics: 3067
  • Online Today: 98
  • Online Ever: 440
  • (January 13, 2020, 10:14:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 101
Total: 101
101 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Footsteps  (Read 4431 times)

Rhonya

• Path of Wisdom
  • Alpha
  • True Blood-Former Thur'ruk
    • View Profile
Footsteps
« on: June 14, 2016, 04:21:57 PM »

The rock felt smooth and cool under my hands, and for a moment I paused in my walk to look at it. It was covered in green vines, but it had some jagged edges as well, meaning even at times the sand would reach here and slowly eat layer after layer away. I wondered how many years this rock had been here already, what it had seen through those years, who had rested on its surface just like I was doing now, taking a breather. It was humid here close to the river, a pressing warmth in my chest when I inhaled the air. My dreadlocks were wet and sticking to my face and back, rather uncomfortably. Sometimes I did regret letting it grow out again, the short coupe had had some advantages over the heavy mat of red locks.

For a short moment I pressed my cheek against the smooth side of the rock and closed my eyes, smiling to myself. I liked this land. Not so much the sand, but the warmth and the oasis, it reminded me of Stranglethorn in some ways. I heard a soft splash nearby and looked up, somewhat startled. It couldn’t be Lian, he’d remained back in the city, the sand too hot for his paws to walk on constantly, hurting the soft cushions underneath. Was it a crocolisk? Quietly grabbing an arrow from my quiver,  I knocked it on my bowstring and turned around, making my way through the greenery towards the source of the sound. My feet made near to no noise on the soft earth, and I managed to get to the waterside without being noticed. My arrow was pointed straight at the back of an orc. Long, black hair was pulled forwards over her shoulder. She seemed to be washing it in the stream, unaware of the danger behind her. I could kill her instantly if I wanted to. I only had to release my arrow…

But of course I wouldn’t do that. I wouldn’t kill a True Blood, even though I didn’t particularly like her. Rhonya was the reason Sadok had left me, heavily pregnant and in the middle of Tanaan. She was the reason I had nearly killed him, when he told me what he had done. I had mainly been avoiding her and them together, even though Sadok and I talked things out, it still stung. Even though Mozrogg and me were perfectly fine with being together and gave each other the space we needed, something Sadok had never really been able to give me, it still hurt.

Slowly I lowered the arrow and relaxed the bowstring, clearing my throat to make her aware of my presence. Her eyes went wide and she turned, nearly tumbling into the river while letting out a surprised yelp. I felt one of my eyebrows go up a little and kept my hands on my bow, looking at her as I stepped out from the bushes properly and into the late sunlight of the day.
‘Sorry. I didn’t mean ta scare ya.” I said, my voice a bit dry and hoarse due to the hot, sandy air I’d been breathing the past few hours.

Rhonya shook her fair head and a small smile appeared on her face. Always smiling. Damn that nice smile. Her voice was soft and gentle as she spoke, so different in comparison to my own.
“It’s alright... I just didn’t expect someone to find me here, is all.” She gathered herself a bit again, settling more properly on the edge of the water, wringing out her wet hair with her hands.  The droplets made soft noises as they fall back into the river, and for a few moments that was the only sound around us, until I moved to squat next to the water myself to cup some of it in my hand and splash some on my dusty face. I looked back up.

“Ya s’ouldn’t be alone ‘ere anyway, small t’in’ like ya. Dere be crocolisks an’ wasps an’ snakes. Be no’ really safe. Sadok woul’ be sad if ya get ‘urt.” Snap. Why had I brought Sadok up? I hadn’t meant to, but somehow it just came out. To avoid her eyes, I just started to pull my boots off and put my feet into the water. Rhonya remained quiet for a little moment. Her voice was as gentle and soft as always, though I could clearly hear a sharp edge to the words now.

“I know. I’m not completely helpless on my own, unlike what most of you seem to think. I can take care of myself.”

I turned my head and looked at her expression. Her eyes were slightly narrowed. They looked almost purple in this light, the blue seeming to mix with the light hint of red around her pupils. She looked determined, fierce in a way. I exhaled slowly through my nose in a sigh.
“I suppose many seem ta for’et dat at times, ya. Ya dun look very t’reatenin’.” I said, a light joking tone in my voice at the last sentence. She smiled.
“Take my word for it, it can be a blessing and a curse. Though often they don’t expect things from me, which can work to my advantage at times. But you should know, you do the same, in a way.”
I opened my mouth to ask her what she meant, feigning ignorance, but looking at her face I knew I wouldn’t fool her. So instead I just bared my fangs in a knowing grin. Perhaps we had more in common than I thought.

“Ya dun miss bein’ T’ur’ruk?” I heard myself ask. I didn’t really know where the question came from. I moved my feet through the cool water while she shifted herself a little and shook her head.
“Some things, I suppose… But there isn’t much I can’t do right now that I couldn’t do before. It’s… just a title, you know. A name. It doesn’t make who you are, though of course it gives you certain… privileges. But I was never much someone taking point, leading others, ordering orcs. I never liked that… “ Her voice trailed off a little before she continued. “I suppose it’s different as Thur’ruk though than as.. for example, a Varog’gor… They have a clear purpose for everyone to see. Protect the Chieftain, the tribe…”

I nodded to her words thoughtfully. I had admired the Varog’gor. Those I had known, at least, which were not many. Therak had succumbed under the rank, as so many before him. Orcs called it the Varog’gor curse, either they all disappeared without a trace or they died horrible deaths. So far it’d proven true for most of them. To swear your life to the chieftain wasn’t a small thing… To put his safety before everything else in your life. Not that there was much else in my life worth protecting… Mozrogg, of course. But he thought mainly the same as I did. The tribe, but that was also a Varog’gors duty. My children. Though I had never felt as close to them as some other mothers. Perhaps that was simply my survival instinct. I loved them, but with them I was slow, they brought dangers, they were loud and annoying. I was fine without them too, knowing they were well taken care of.

As I looked up, I noticed Rhonya was inspecting my face now. Perhaps she’d noticed my thoughtful expression. “Wat?”
She shrugged, before her smile grew wider a bit. Sometimes I had such an urge to smack her in the face and wipe that smile away. But I held myself back.
“You just looked like you were making up your mind about something. Black knife… Protector of the tribe. You’ve been a Gul’thauk for a long time now, following Kozgugore around in absence of a Varog’gor.”
I nodded. She was right at that part at least. I’d kept my eye on the Chief,  when he was standing alone, his back to dangers. I couldn’t always be there of course. But beside Mozrogg, he was my main focus in the tribe. I didn’t have any bloodsiblings. I never really let anyone close. Only one or two had managed over the years I’d been with the tribe to get to know the real me. And it was fine that way. It was safer.

“Been a year o’ so now.” I spoke softly.
She nodded, responding. “Do you feel you would do different as an Elder? Your views, your ways, priorities?”
I shook my head and she continued: “Then you know a bit of how I feel, not being Thur’ruk anymore. I can do what I want to do, what I feel I need to do… protect the tribe in other ways. My loved ones.”

A soft sigh escaped my lips. “I wouldn’t really min’ t’oug’, I suppose. Bindin’ meself more. Learn more. Bu’ me views woul’ stay da same. Da tribe be me everyt’in’. I ‘ave not’in’ else lef’.” A sudden hand softly patted me on my leg and in reaction my eyes narrowed, but it was simply an automatic gesture from Rhonya’s part, something soothing. I didn’t move.
“Well, then perhaps you know the next steps.” She said somewhat cheerfully before standing up. She wasn’t wearing any shoes, just a simple robe. Without a word she wandered off towards the city and left me sitting, wondering what had actually happened. I hadn’t asked for any advice. Or even stated a problem…

Grumbling to myself, I splashed some more water in my face. Perhaps it was time for some more steps ahead. I told myself I’d talk to the Chief about it. We used to have pretty good talks together. He’d be honest with me.
With a grunt I stood up, picked up my boots and my bow and followed Rhonya’s trail to the city, the scent she’d left behind. She smelled like herbs, like organic things and a hint of the sharp tang of blood. It was easy to follow. Footsteps on perhaps a new path…

"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack."

Srelok

• Path of Cunning
  • Alpha
    • View Profile
Re: Footsteps
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 05:13:40 PM »
Lovely little peek in Kyra's mind! Moar!

"If you could pour pain into a mold of an orc and then cut off its foot to piss it off, you’d get Srelok." Gulrok Ragehowl

Okiba

• Path of Strength
  • Alpha
  • Warrior Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 05:40:02 PM »
A thoroughly enjoyable look into Kyra's psyche! I look forward to more  :D
Okiba Spearbreaker - Nag'Ogar and Warrior Monk of the Horde
"Strength, Discipline, Mastery."

Rhonya

• Path of Wisdom
  • Alpha
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 09:02:13 PM »

I couldn’t sleep. The night dragged on and on, one of those sleepless darkness’s that seems it’s never ending, that the time crawls by slower than usual. My shoulder still burned, the wound scratching against the bandages, the skin mostly burned away underneath. It didn’t stink, Gashuk had done his job well, but it was a nagging, agonizing pain all the same that wouldn’t disappear, even with the thick layer of salve over it.

Mozrogg was lying next to me, softly breathing, half covered by one of the thin linen blankets I’d traded, fur sometimes just too hot in this desert. Especially with us at times liking to sleep during the day. His hand was placed on my bare leg, as if to keep me close to him, even when asleep. He looked younger, his face relaxed and now without the almost permanent frown he showed when he was awake. I propped myself up on my elbow and reached with a hand to trace the sharp line of his cheekbone down to his tusk. He let out a soft snort at the touch, which made me smile.

He had tried to reassure me. Promised me he’d keep me safe. I knew that he would try to follow up on that promise, but he couldn’t be around me all the time. I didn’t expect him to. I would still get hurt, no matter how hard he tried, and I hoped he would understand that if I did, it wasn’t his fault.
I did feel calmer after talking to him, but yet… the words kept going through my mind. Spoken on a dying breath, the fear had taken root in my heart. I realised it had been there before, the seed planted by the Eredar back in Tanaan, but I had dismissed those words as empty threats. Now, the seed had sprouted, slowly spreading the fear through my body.

"Foolish... orcs. Do not think that this is the end. The Baleful Lord's eye is upon you... as it has been since you first grasped his attention. There is no stopping his fury. Not now... not... ever."

His eyes had been burning with the fel, and he looked at me as I had approached him to finish his sad life. Those words however stopped me dead in my tracks. He pointed a trembling finger at me.

"You... he told me about you. About how you have been marked. You have only experienced a speck of the suffering that awaits you."
"Do you remember? The other one he marked... -He- is already dead. Claimed as payment for your futile resistance. Yes... You -will- be next."

I would be next.

Suddenly I just couldn’t take it anymore. I slipped out from under the blanket, Mozroggs hand sliding off my leg, instead gripping the edge of the covers, pulling it closer to himself. Quietly stepping away, I made my way into the oasis nearby, bare feet almost making no sound on the damp ground. I wasn’t wearing anything, but I didn’t care. The breeze actually felt nice against my bare skin, goosebumps appearing all over as I shivered and simply stepped into the cool water of the river close to the city.

I breathed in deeply. My hands were shaking.

I knew it was no idle threat. He would come. He’d also been part of Threkna’s misfortune, now Sakinra’s wolf had fallen victim too. How many more of the tribe would he hurt?
It was part of the reason why I had approached Kozgugore as well; even more determined than before that I wanted what I had set my eyes on.  My next steps on my new path, if he would accept me. If he trusted me, if he found me worthy of standing at his side. The blackarrow in the shadows, looking over him.

I remained standing in the water.  I wasn’t alone in this. I would have help, and I would try to keep the others safe too. And if I became too much of a danger as ‘marked’ one, I wouldn’t stand alone. Even so, the fear remained. The burning pain of my shoulder. Time would tell what would happen, but I feared about how much time we would still have.

He was coming.

A little bit further into the city, someone else was awake as well. She was clutching a letter in her hands, reading it again and again. It was ripped a little and crumpled, clearly read many times already. Her black hair hid her face as she sat there, wrapped in some blankets, alone on the edge of the docks, the smell of burning ships still sharp in the air after the attack of the evening before.
Tears were streaming over her face, some dripping onto the paper she was holding, blurring some of the words as the liquid mixed with the ink. He was gone. Her bloodbrother, her friend, her protector. He had left her again, and this time she wasn’t sure he would return once more. He’d been through so much… So much pain, so much trials. She’d tried to help him, to support him, to be there for him. But clearly it hadn’t been enough.

Had he finally broken? Was he shattered into so many pieces that it was impossible to put him back together again? Was that why he had left?

He had done a terrible thing, the letter said. She didn’t know what. She had hardly talked to him the past week, apart from nearly fighting with him during the talk with Mazgha. The elders had decided she would be the one to tutor the newblood this time. She had accepted, even though she didn’t like it much. But she hadn’t seen the female around after seeing her with Makaroth twice, and now he left. Perhaps she knew more…

She read the letter again, wiping a hand at her eyes. Softly she whispered soft words into the wind, closing her eyes as she tilted her head up to the sky.

“Goodbye, my brother… I love you. Don’t forget that…”

Perhaps the winds were kind, and would carry her words to him, where ever he was right now…
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 09:08:06 PM by Rhonya »
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack."

Rashka

• Path of Strength
  • Alpha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 09:54:35 PM »
Yess! I'm sorry that I haven't been around to figure out who was Mazhga's tutor - but I'm in Sweden currently D: expect me home some time next week
Rashka Facebreaker - Battlesworn of the Nag'Ogar

Rhonya

• Path of Wisdom
  • Alpha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 04:21:09 PM »

All my things were packed. I didn’t need much, a few satchels of arrows, my spare bow and some strips of meat were all I was taking with me. And Rhonya of course. Sadok and his odd plans. I wasn’t entirely sure what expected we’d do on this trip, apart from probably awkwardly trying to fill the silences. I tugged the last strap of the saddle in place on my raptor, a rather impatient and large beast. He was nice enough though, when he wasn’t hungry. The beast snapped his jaws shut right behind my head and instinctively I moved my hand to swat him on the nose. “No ya dun. Stan’ still.” A low growl came from between his sharp teeth, but he behaved. I shifted my attention to look around a moment and see where my ‘companion’ was.

Rhonya was standing a little further away, tying her saddlebags to her wolfs saddle. I internally groaned as I saw how much bags she was taking. We were only going on a few day trip, what in loa’s name did she all need in such a short timespan? Her hair was actually braided, a rare occasion, kept out of her face as she made sure the saddlebags were secured properly. She turned her head and caught my gaze with her odd red and blue eyes.
“I’m ready when you are, Kyrazha. I suppose you can explain to me properly what we’re actually doing once we’re on the road.”

I gave a little nod, pulling myself up into the saddle. Taking the reins in my hands, I turned the raptors head to face the road we were going to take. “Le’s go den. Day ain’ getting’ any youn’er.” I said, looking at Rhonya climbing up on her wolf. The sun was still very low in the sky, early morning, but it was already pretty warm. We made our way through the gate, keeping a fast walking pace.
“Sadok tol’ me ta take ya on a trip. I ‘ave ta visit da s’rine o’ Lo’os’ fo’ somet’in’, ‘e t’oug’t ya’d enjoy comin’ wit’ me. So we be stayin’ in As’envale fo’ a few days.”
I had expected questions, more of a reaction, but apparently Rhonya wasn’t much in a talking mood herself and to my surprise she simply nodded and remained quiet. There was a bit of a distracted, sad look about her, but I couldn’t place my finger on it yet what was actually bothering her. Perhaps I’d find out soon enough.

By evening, we reached the border towards Ashenvale. The forest was large, old. Massive trees loomed over the path and the air itself had a thickness about it, almost as if you listened well you could feel the presences of the trees around you, hear the whispers going through the leaves. My eye fell on Rhonya, still riding silently beside me on her wolf, her expression not having changed the slightest bit when entering the dark woods. I didn’t speak, not wanting to disturb her thoughts and simply made my way to what I’d chosen as our campsite, a little clearing in the woods I’d spend time sleeping before, a few years ago. Sliding off my raptors back, I made a quick round through the clearing and decided it was still fit for using.
“We’ll make camp ‘ere.” I said just shortly. Rhonya unsaddled her wolf and simply set to making camp quietly.

This would be a long few days…

Rhonya made her way through camp, picking up some things, putting them down again someplace else, walking around. She was restless, worried, sad, angry… So much emotions racing through her, that she just didn’t know what to do with them. Kyrazha was away on her little spiritual talk, so she had the camp for herself. But Rhonya felt like she had to do something. Just to make sure…
With a deep sigh she gathered one of her bags and started to walk out of camp. Now was as good a time as any. She knew the place she wanted to go, the place where she and her first bloodsister spend time together a lot, where the oath was made, where there bond was created. She wouldn’t believe Shrika was dead until she’d seen the proof with her own eyes.

When Rhonya reached the proper place, just beside the corrupted land that lead to demonfall canyon, she stopped. Memories filled her mind, but she shook her head and forced them away. It was no time for them, she had to focus. She and Shrika had always had a link between them both, though it faded the further away from each other they were. Perhaps she could be reached through the link, somehow, alive or dead… The least Rhonya could do was try.

With her dagger she drew a circle in the ground around her, preparing some incense in a bowl and lighting it, and adding some runes of power to the circle, hoping they would strengthen her call to the other female through the worlds. With a clear voice, she called out, concentrating on her sister, on her link.
“Spirits, I call on you! Spirits, hear me. I call upon the one named Shrika Felborne. Spirits, allow her to come to me, if you ever valued me. She was blood of my blood, sister of my heart. If she is truly with you, let her come to me.”
Rhonya took her dagger, slicing her palm open, dripping some of her blood into the burning incense in the bowl in front of her. It hissed softly as it hit the burning embers, spreading the blood smell around.
“Shrika, hear my call. Sister, we were bound here... If you can hear me... Please..”

She waited… And waited. The circle was active, she could feel it around herself, but nothing was happening. Until suddenly out of nowhere a light came which swiftly exploded into a violent fire. A figure stumbled out of the flames, smoking and looking disoriented. Rhonya took a moment to register the scene. Yes.. This was Shrika. But… She was almost see through, transparent, looking horrible. Her arm was gone, she looked… burned and scared, very scared. The figure spoke, and it broke Rhonya’s heart to hear how scared she sounded.
“Rhon… Rhonya!” She yelled, her voice distant and holding an echo to it. With a pleading gesture she moved closer to Rhonya, the female shining with a sort of shadowy aura, distorting her image even more.
“Shrika..? It’s… true then? Y-you’re dead?” Rhonya spoke uncertainly, dropping her dagger. Without hesitation she stepped forwards out of the circle, towards the so trusted image of her sister, slowly reaching a hand out towards her.
Shrika moved her hand softly, reaching behind Rhonya’s neck to lay it there, looking at her with a mournful gaze. It almost seemed like an embrace. “Rhonya, help me.. Rhonya, I’m scared…”
A shiver went through Rhonya’s form, locking her into place. A very worried frown covered her features, but she didn’t try to push Shrika away. “What are you scared of…? What happened? Please, explain it to me, sister. Where are you? Are you even alive…?”

And then Rhonya noticed it all going wrong. Shrika’s hand tightened in her neck, at the same time as she leaned forwards to put her forehead against Rhonya’s, as they had done often in the past, a comforting thing. Her grip was uncomfortably tight though this time and Rhonya could suddenly very clearly feel the fel aura around the shape of her sister. She felt the familiar burning on her back, a warning from her ward that the amounts of fel were becoming dangerously high, activating it to protect Rhonya from it, even though it sapped energy from the female itself to keep it empowered.
“I need your help… I need you. WE need you.”
Shrika tilted her head, staring directly into Rhonya’s eyes, her scared expression changing into one of cruelty, her lips twisting into a crooked grin. Her skin darkened and little thorns sprouted here and there, slightly glowing stretch marks appearing over her skin. Rhonya growled, her eyes widening as she’s pulled closer. A harsh voice sounded, not like Shrika’s own at all.
“Foolish girl. You think you can bring your friend back? There is no hope for her, nor for you, for that matter.”
A soft gasp of pain escaped Rhonya’s lips as she felt the ward draining her, though keeping her safe from the fel at the same time. She struggled to speak, her voice hoarse. “T-this isn’t you! Shrika… I called on Shrika, my sister, my blood! Give her back to me!”
Everything darkened around them both, the area disappearing, only colums of felfire sprouting from the ground around them as the ground split open nearby. Rhonya started to struggle, trying to push Shrika away from her, away from the fel, from the pain… The demonic creature only seemed to be more amused by this, cackling and leaning closer to speak.
“You want to meet your friend? Then come… Come! She’s so lonely… Suffering in the hands of our masters. Come and comfort her poor, shattered soul.”

Cries of agony sounded all around them, seeming to come from the cracks that still appeared around them, spewing felfire. Even gravity seemed to disappear, pebbles and tufts of grass floating upwards. Rhonya struggled harder, pushing at the figure with all her might, and the figures fingers slipped from her neck, not having the strength to keep her there in that broken form. Rhonya stumbled backwards, gasping, into her circle. “Damn.. damn you. She’s not yours to have! And you won’t get me either!”
For a moment Rhonya could still see Shrika who was not Shrika, her hair floating around her head as if she was underwater. Shrika spoke calmly. “We will. You shall all. Soon.”

Suddenly everything disappeared. A deafening silence as the world twisted itself back into shape, showing no signs anymore of the fire, the broken earth, nothing… Sounds came back slowly to Rhonya’s ears. Birds tweeting, the water drifting nearby, the gentle wind blowing around her.
Rhonya took a moment to compose herself, sitting on her hands and knees in her circle, the bowl of incense having been knocked over. She closed her eyes, breathing deeply. “Oh sister… What have you gotten yourself in this time..”
She started to tremble, and picked up her dagger, holding it close to her chest, somewhat comforted by the presence of the spirit inside of it, the one she always carried.
“I’m not sure I can help you this time, Shrika… I can try..”

-To be continued-
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 08:25:09 PM by Rhonya »

Okiba

• Path of Strength
  • Alpha
  • Warrior Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 07:36:36 PM »
Nice story! though next time, just stab her with the dagger!  ;D

Rhonya

• Path of Wisdom
  • Alpha
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 03:18:35 AM »

It was late evening by the time I managed to make my way into the place Srelok had described to me. It had taken me some tracking and searching, but as I sniffed the air and looked at my surroundings, I knew I was in the right place. There was a shrine here, a rocky sort of building without a door and the entrance to this hidden place had been an underground tunnel, chilly and damp.

I grunted softly as I dragged the corpse of the stag with me, bound by the legs, dragged over my shoulders. It wasn’t a fully grown one, but he was young, strong and had showed promise, if I hadn’t ended his life prematurely. I had left Rhonya in our camp; she wasn’t in any mood to talk anyway, so I didn’t mind much, being away from her. We’ve never really gotten along, but this time it was worse than normal, and I wasn’t really sure what had gotten into her, nor was I likely to find out anytime soon, knowing her. I wasn’t really one she confided in. Not that I minded, I really didn’t feel much for hearing about her problems and issues, especially not if they involved Sadok. Those were her problems now. I shook my head a little to clear my thoughts. I wasn’t here to think about those things again.

“Keep ya min’ ta da matters at ‘and, Kyra..” I mumbled to myself while making my way to the altar ahead with my offering. I didn’t really know how this was supposed to go, but I just assumed that if I came here with my good intentions and something as offering, the spirits would listen… Right?
Was worth a try, at least.

Grabbing my Gul’thauk blade from my belt, the black metal shimmering ominously in the starlight, I set to cutting out the stags heart. A bloody business, but I’d done it often, so it didn’t take very long. I held it up towards the altar, sitting on my knees in the bloody puddle.
“I dunno if I be doin’ dis rig’t. Bu’ I suppose if I ain’, ya can tell me too. I come ‘ere wit’ me offerin’, ta apolo’ize an’ ask fo’ a blessin’.  I mig’t no’ always ‘ave been very respec’ful to some spirits. I’ll try ta better me ways, spirit o’ da wolf. Startin’ ‘ere.”
I nodded, feeling a little foolish as I was talking to nothing, or so it seemed. I moved forwards and placed the bloody heart on the altar. “Firs’ c’oice o’ da pray, fo’ da wolf spirit.”

Moving back again, I sat down next to the bloody corpse of the stag, waiting. And waiting. And more waiting. I started to get a little annoyed and let out a low grumble before I saw something moving from the corner of my eyes with lightning speed. Something knocked me over out of nowhere before I could even react and I landed on my back rather painfully, hitting my head against the ground which caused me to see black spots a moment. A growling was heard nearby me and I tensed, feeling something sharp against my neck.
I remained still, very still. My vision cleared and my eyes widened in surprise as I saw what was above me. I could see right through the blueish shape of the beast above me. Its jaws were locked around my neck, its lips pulled up into a snarl. I could feel the teeth on my skin though, so it was more real than just…a ghost or so. Gulping, I opened my mouth.
“’…I be sorry if I insulted ya some’ow, wolf spirit.”

A snicker sounded in my head and the wolf moved, the jaws snapping shut right in front of my eyes before the wolf bounded away towards the altar, jumping on it with ease before starting to devour the heart I put there. Slowly I sat up and got to my feet, not entirely understanding what was happening. I doubted this was the oh so big wolf spirit I had heard Srelok talk about, but... what did I know. I’d never really done this before on my own.

At least you brought me something to eat, orc-thing. Not as foolish as I thought when I heard you yap away.

It took me a moment to realise it was the wolf speaking in my head, its glowing blue eyes focused on me as bloody saliva dripped down its jaws. Who would’ve known, spirits could eat too.
“I jus’ ain’ really known wit’ dese kin’ o’ t’in’s.” I snorted softly, and the wolf spirit hopped down the altar to stand in front of me. It was huge, its head reaching up to my face easily, able to look me straight in the eyes.

No kidding. Well, I heard you. And you show submission, smart girl.

I looked right back into those glowing blue eyes without flinching now. I’d already showed it that it had me beaten, I wasn’t going to back off twice, I saw no need for it. The wolf pulled back its lips into a grin and simply sat down in front of me.

But daring. I like that. Speak, orc-thing. You smell like cat. What are you doing here in a wolfden?

“Apolo’izin’. Fo’ pas’ mistakes.”

The wolf grinned even wider, showing all its sharp fangs.

Don’t think it’ll be that easy, cat-girl. You made a good start, coming here. Time will tell if you really manage to show what you can do, and if you’re really sorry.

“Well, a star’  be a star’. I’ll take wat I can get.” I said softly, nodding to the spirit in front of me. It was quite intimidating, but I assumed a wolfspirit would act just like that… a wolf. So showing weakness or fear was not an option. “I already be ‘appy I didn’t come ‘ere fo’ not’in’.” I dared showing a smirk. The spirit turned around to take the rest of the stag into its mouth, lifting it up easily.

Keep trying, cat-girl. We’ll be watching.

And with that, the wolf bounded into the shadows and was gone. I exhaled deeply, somewhat relieved. Well, that had gone better than expected. I suppose Srelok would just have to be content with me actually having reached something, even though I had no clue what I was doing. That was worth something, no? I turned around and slowly started to make my way out of the clearing, back to Lian and the camp I shared with Rhonya.

I was happy I didn’t do this for a living, contacting spirits.

Rhonya

• Path of Wisdom
  • Alpha
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 06:19:38 PM »
((Gashuk dared me to write this one. So you can blame him for the story spam. xD))

The night was clear as a figure made her way across the road leaving Razor Hill. She was easily visible, but then again, she wasn’t trying to hide. Rhonya slowly stepped past the waters edge and onto the little outlook she liked sitting so much. Her head was spinning after all the talks of that evening. She’d tried to keep her attention at the talks around her, at Nexini telling her of her task, but perhaps the female had noticed as well that Rhonya had simply been a bit distracted. The cause of that had been sitting right at the table in the middle of the inn, most of the evening.

She looked down at the spot they had both been sitting before going into the tavern to join with the others again. Rhonya sighed softly as she sat down, even noticing some of the droplets of blood on the rock, probably from them both, mingled and dried on the cold surface. The talk had started as normal, just some banter between them both, telling each other what they had both been up to the past week. He’d inspected the felward tattoo on her back with a gentle touch of his finger, tracing the lines and runes of the ink under her skin, using a very light touch of fel to test the runes. After empowering them with his own blood and making sure they were all still connected, he’d come to sit next to her again.

Rhonya looked at where he had been sitting, right next to where she was sitting now. He’d asked a question. Something she had not expected. Gashuk had asked her about Blood oaths. If she thought anyone would accept that from him. She’d reacted a bit confused, not entirely getting the hint, as usual. Now, looking back at it, it had been pretty obvious. He had said he was of a mind to ask someone she was close to as well, that he felt a certain kinship with him. She had tried to reassure him that she doubted anyone would have any issues with it, if he could make sure nothing fel would pass on through the blood. Which he could, being a bloodmage as well.

“You’ve always been a bit lonely… I mean, well.. Others avoid you a little perhaps due to what you are, but you don’t deserve that.” Rhonya remembered the words she’d spoken, actually more in worry, in pity. He’d responded, sounded amused.
“Heh, I’m used to it Rhonya. I’ve never mated on Azeroth. The love of my youth died before we came through t’portal.”

“Still, to be honest… I always felt a little… bad for you. Don’t take it the wrong way, but… erh. I just care for you, I suppose. You helped me so much in the past, and you still do.” She had patted his leg softly when saying that, not entirely sure why she had even said it.

And that’s where the conversation had taken a turn. He told her he cared for her too, but… He also said that he thought Sadok didn’t deserve her. That he was a lost puppy that got the sympathy vote. She had been quiet for a few moments, not really sure if she’d heard him right. She should’ve denied it, should have told him it was not his business. But insecurity had gripped her. It had been a fear for a while already, after lying to Sadok the first time in Tanaan. She’d loved him always, and she was sure she loved him more now, but was it really the deep love of mates? Or had guilt taken over and her need to care for him, to never be able to give him what he needed turned into the drive behind her love. Gashuk hit the center of the issue, right away. As he usually did.
Rhonya sighed softly, remembering. She hadn’t denied it, she’d just asked Gashuk his opinion and eventually stopped responding. He had gotten the hint, thankfully. And then he simply asked her something else.

“If you haven't already guessed, t'second Orc I wanted t'ask fer an oath from was you.”

Rhonya had been surprised. Perhaps she shouldn’t have been, perhaps she was as blind as everyone accused her of being. And then she’d made a mistake. She joked if he was sure, after just having basically called her a fool for accepting Sadok as mate. He mentioned she should follow her heart, and that he was too old to put up competition anyway.
Rhonya grunted softly, peering down at the water. Why had she asked the next thing? What had she even expected that he would answer? She remembered the words clearly, those softly spoken without looking at him.

“Would you…? Put up competition, I mean…”

She could have slapped herself back then. She still wanted to right now. It had been the start of a very, very awkward conversation as he answered. “I would if I could.”
She’d been shocked. Blind indeed. She had asked him why, how long… He answered everything truthfully, something she had expected of him, but it only made the entire conversation more awkward. He had even apologized, saying he should’ve kept his mouth shut and that he hoped it wouldn’t come between them.

Rhonya thought back on past moments, similar moments. With some it had gone wrong, indeed. Bloodbrothers that had become mates. Some that had broken her trust and disappeared. But Gashuk was different, she hoped. He told her he’d kept her close in other ways, tutoring, helping, finding it inappropriate to do otherwise. She had been somewhat glad for that, but still. They made some awkward jokes, trying to get the tension out of the air, but they didn’t really succeed.
It made her slightly uncomfortable still to look back on. Probably needed some time to get used to the idea, but she wouldn’t turn him away as bloodbrother. She cared too much for him to do that. He’d helped her too much in the past, something she could never repay.

So they’d made the oath. It had been a simple cut, no words spoken between them. It wasn’t needed. They had both already often spoken the words of comfort, of protection. Rhonya wouldn’t have known what to say what had not been said before. He’d closed the wound on her hand right away again, saying he didn’t want to see her in pain. It was such a small gesture, but even now it still meant a lot to her, as she traced the thin line on her palm, looking down at it.
A new bloodbrother. One she knew now also felt more for her than just a kinship, but he’d kept it even better hidden than Sadok. She couldn’t offer Gashuk anything in those regards, and he knew it. But he would still be there for her, as a brother.

And she was thankful for that. Spirits knew she needed him often enough.

Rhonya

• Path of Wisdom
  • Alpha
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 02:58:31 PM »

Emptiness. It was as if a part of herself had been ripped away, as if a piece of her soul had been shredded and burned the same time Sadok let out his last breath. In a way, that was probably exactly what happened. Not many knew, the bond they’d shared. The ritual they had done long ago, together, linking their souls, their mind, even more so than with the normal spirit link. Rhonya had gotten used to it, it had just been a part of them, that she was able to feel him far away or nearby, and reach out to him and him to her.

She’d found a place to sit alone, on a ridge, hidden above the camp surrounded by some trees and bushes. Around her lay the cubs and Sukeenah, curled up under a pile of furs, sleeping. Stars blotted the night sky, a sky now clear where not long before it’d been streaked with green as the demons had come down, thrown there by a big airship in the sky. Never had she predicted it would be this bad, that she’d lose her mate, nearly her children and Kyrazha’s children as well…

Rhonya tried to reach out. Again. Again she was met by this hole, this empty, dark hole of where he used to be, threatening to drag her under as well. He was really gone, slipped from her grasp, so sudden. It tore at her, it hurt so much… She had send him to the hut, after he’d gotten so wounded fighting those demons. She’d send him there for some rest… Instead she’d send him to his death. He didn’t blame her, but it stung still. If he had stayed here, at the ramparts… Nothing like this would’ve happened.

If, if, if… It had happened, and there was no denying it. She was alone, in her head and in her heart. Others had wanted to help her, comfort her… But they hadn’t felt what she had, the moment he died. It had felt as if her entire being had been torn in two, the pain nothing like she had experienced before. Rhonya leaned her head back against her knees, curled up sitting on the ridge. She wouldn’t be sleeping much this night, the entire thing on replay in her mind, the things Sadok had said, the spirits not listening as she tried to mend him, his broken body on the pyre as she set it alight with the torch.
She had promised him to be strong. She would try… But it was hard, knowing what was coming down on them at this point. Fel, demons, perhaps more orcs that would be lost to them. She would have to talk to Gashuk… Yesterday at the hut she had already felt it, the ward on her back going into overdrive to protect her from the remains of the fel hanging around, sapping her energy even more. It was her biggest weakness still, a thing left from the past, and it annoyed her to no end. Another thing to worry about.

Rhonya looked back at the cubs. It wasn’t safe here at the Ramparts either… She’d have to find a proper place for them and Sukeenah to stay.. Perhaps Thunderbluff would do. But she’d think about that later. Kyrazha had been told as well, by Rhonya, when she noticed the cubs were in the area. Some were hers, after all. She’d taken the news hard, even though her face hadn’t shown it, Rhonya could see the pain in her eyes. The talk had been really short, really awkward, especially because Rhonya simply didn’t feel like talking to anyone at this point. She’d have to again, eventually… But for now she’d just sit here, and try not to feel.

Which was near to impossible.

Rhonya

• Path of Wisdom
  • Alpha
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 05:58:43 PM »

The splash of water sounded and droplets of the clear liquid splattered against the wooden floorboards and her robe, adding to the water already absorbed by the cloth. Rhonya was sitting on the floor in the tower, the lower part of her robes completely soaked by now. With a deep sigh she lowered her hands. This was a lot harder than she anticipated, and her exhaustion wasn’t helping. Inhaling deeply, she reached out once more, trying again.

Feel the water, feel the substance, the energies in it, the shape, the form, the being… Not so much the spirit side, but the actual liquid. She closed her eyes, concentrating on what Gashuk had been trying to teach her. Moving the water should be doable without asking, it was a form of magic, she wouldn’t ask the spirit of the water for its properties and aid, but move the water itself. It was a completely different take on things than what she was used to, but it made sense to her. Water was still a liquid, a thing you could touch. She would just learn to move it without touching it. Small amounts, the goal wasn’t to move entire rivers, for that she would still have to contact the spirit within.

Slowly the water rose from the floorboards again, forming a swirling ball of water between her hands. Rhonya opened her eyes and pulled her hands further apart, the round shape stretching along as if it was something sticky stuck to her hands. With a small smile she actually managed this time to keep it with her, before guiding it with her hands into the jar in front of her. That was enough for tonight. Soon Gashuk would challenge her further anyway, instead of water using blood. The ancient form of shamanism bloodmagic was a sort of taboo right now, having gotten a bad name even recently due to the Bleeding Hollow misusing the properties and abilities of it to their own advantages. But she was determined to learn the proper way. And her bloodbrother was one of the very few left who even remembered and knew that way.

She closed the jar properly and pulled her robe over her head, laying it out so it could dry. A glance outside told her it was deep in the night already, complete darkness having fallen over the already usually dark woods, most of the trees blocking out the light. Her own little tower room was illuminated by a small candle flickering against one of the walls on an empty crate, but with a soft huff of her breath the small flame died out. Rhonya snuggled into her pile of furs, hoping sleep would come.

“I love you. All I wanted was for us to be happy... for us to be happy... to be happy…”
the voice echoed. It kept echoing, like there was no end to it, the words messed up and merging together in a chorus of random syllables. There was no light. Nothing at all, nothing to focus on, nothing to see. Her eyes were open, she knew that much. She opened her mouth to reply, but the moment she made a sound, a deep agony coursed through her entire body. She curled up, closing her mouth again, feeling wet tears starting to run down over her cheeks.

“Love you… Promise me you’ll stay strong… stay strong… strong…”

She mouthed the words instead, into the darkness. I promise. I promise I promise I promise… Come back to me.
But he wouldn’t, and she knew it. A vision swam in front of her now, see through, looking sad. It looked like Sadok. It reminded her of that day at the shrine. She thought she was going mad. It couldn’t have been him, it hurt too much and it was cruel, spirits were cruel… Even so, she slowly reached her hand out to the shape and it returned the gesture, though when it grabbed her hand the grip was unnaturally firm. The fingers started to get longer, twisting in a horrible way around her own, flaming fur sprouting from the wrist and further up the arm. She couldn’t move, only watch in horror as the shape of her beloved twisted into a horned creature of fel. She felt a pressure under her chin, the long fingers elegantly cupping it and forcing her to look up, to sit up straight, powerless in his grasp.
“You know our touch, Rhonya the Steelhearted. You remember who forged that steel in the first place, and with what. It was us, it’s always been us. Forged in fire, forged in fel, your entire life.” The felfire creature spoke with a voice that hurt her ears, like a deep grinding in her head, reaching to her soul.
“You know this deep inside. Once bound, you can never leave, my pretty, my dear. One day the time will come. And we’ll be ready. We’ll be waiting.”

The pressure disappeared from her chin and she simply fell forwards, just able to still see the shape of fire spreading out, losing its form and engulfing her, burning her, eating her, devouring…

With a muffled scream Rhonya awoke, wrapped tightly in her furs, so tightly she needed a moment to calm down and actually free herself. Sweat clung to her skin, her hair sticky and wet. She scrambled outside into the cooler night air, shivering. It had been going like this for a while now, the nightmares, the fel ward burning on her back, even the fire rune on her hand hurt, the skin red and raw as if she’d only recently had it burned into her skin, not months ago. How long she could go on like this, she didn’t know. But she had promised… She had no other choice. A war on the horizon once again, she couldn’t fail her tribe, her cubs.. Or Sadok, even though he was not with her in this world anymore.
Rhonya would have to push on.

Okiba

• Path of Strength
  • Alpha
  • Warrior Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 11:28:16 PM »
Le gasp! more! We must has more!