Welcome to Guest. Please log in or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 07:15:27 AM

Recent

Shoutbox

Zakarah:
2023 Dec 29 21:06:51
I think Rashka.exe has stopped working.
Rashka:
2023 Dec 28 20:49:43
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA... A.
Realyn/Eliff:
2023 Jul 22 22:17:06
Such shouty people in here, gosh.
Rashka:
2023 Jul 20 01:42:16
Remember to shout your lungs out every once in a while!!
Kozgugore:
2023 Jul 08 17:30:53
Shouting here to make sure everyone knows that I'm still here!
Ootah:
2022 Jan 24 23:27:52
Wow I can't believe I remembered my password!
Razaron:
2021 Dec 18 15:37:28
<dances>
Vraxxar:
2021 Nov 10 12:24:52
Remember to check both ways before crossing the plains!
Vraxxar:
2021 May 22 14:10:40
I too am testing the shoutbox for non-nefarious reasons.
Kozgugore:
2021 May 22 13:55:49
This is me testing the shoutbox, because shouting is a great stress relief and it would be a shame if it doesn't work.
Rashka:
2021 Mar 25 03:38:20
IM SHOUTING SO HARD RIGHT NOW YOU GUYS.
Claws:
2020 Nov 20 00:14:09
Ice cream for all
Realyn/Eliff:
2020 Oct 09 09:49:55
Happy Anniversary!!! It's party timeeee!
Vraxxar:
2020 Sep 24 12:39:42
Oh god. The warlock found the shoutbox!
Gashuk:
2020 Sep 23 16:42:21
THE SHOUTBOX. Omg. This was like proto-Discord.
Vraxxar:
2020 Aug 23 09:36:02
*Grabs a camera to record what happens*
Nakobu:
2020 Aug 22 16:24:43
*prods shoutbox*
Razaron:
2020 Jun 16 10:34:12
<dances>
Vraxxar:
2020 Jun 05 13:32:27
Swedish Pagans?
Kozgugore:
2020 Jun 01 09:45:09
You're invoking the wrong gods in this place!
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 33082
  • Total Topics: 3067
  • Online Today: 209
  • Online Ever: 440
  • (January 13, 2020, 10:14:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 224
Total: 224
224 Guests, 0 Users

Today's pointless question .....

Started by Akesha, April 18, 2008, 10:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akesha

...is;

Why is it that in all MMO's, you have to reach a certain level (and thus be some kind of mighty hero) to be able to ride a horse, whereas in real life horses are often ridden by 10 year old girls?

Discuss.

Dogar

Got pwned by a little girl at horseback riding recently Akesha?

I ponder how riding a horse can be considered equally difficult to controlling a raptor or rhino. Though carrot on a stick cleared up a lot of those questions for me.
Xaryah Stormward.

Formerly known as Dogar Stormward, Chieftain.

Nahe ~ Coach of Team Tof ~ Blood Bowl (online) <DoW> season 1 ~ Pink yet deadly!

Akesha

Quote from: Dogar on April 18, 2008, 11:31:23 PM
Got pwned by a little girl at horseback riding recently Akesha?

I ponder how riding a horse can be considered equally difficult to controlling a raptor or rhino. Though carrot on a stick cleared up a lot of those questions for me.

...which begs the question, why did my wolf run faster with a carrot on a stick, when wolves are not noted for their love of carrots?

Moggrash

Maybe.... Becouse riding a horse was only for nobles and important people in the medieval age. And since leveling makes you more mighty, you also get famous. And when ypu past the magical barrier of level 40, Voila! You are famous enough to ride.
*shrugs*
The Hat-Lord

Kozgugore

My mommy always said I had to be level 18 to drive her car. ;<
Kozgugore Feraleye - Chieftain of the Red Blade

Tirnak Lynxclaw

Quote from: Kozgugore on April 19, 2008, 02:15:05 AM

And have a license, I hope :P

Rehbande

Quote from: Kozgugore on April 19, 2008, 02:15:05 AM

Ooops...

Rehbande

Quote from: Akesha on April 19, 2008, 01:28:06 AM
...which begs the question, why did my wolf run faster with a carrot on a stick, when wolves are not noted for their love of carrots?

Carrot on a stick can be used two ways:

In front of the horse/similar that wants to eat it, thus increasing the speed.

Behind the wolf/similar that fears it will be rammed up its posterior, thus increasing the speed.

Ugluhk

Quote from: Rehbande on April 19, 2008, 12:09:27 PM
Quote from: Akesha on April 19, 2008, 01:28:06 AM

Carrot on a stick can be used two ways:

In front of the horse/similar that wants to eat it, thus increasing the speed.

Behind the wolf/similar that fears it will be rammed up its posterior, thus increasing the speed.

Troo dat!
back to topic though: becouse in MMOs the horse/similar will chew your hand off if you're below a certain lvl.
Once a pup, always a pup :'(
Offical BUCKET HEAD!
Ugleh, Zhurd, Nose and now Gorback

Akesha

Quote from: Moggrash on April 19, 2008, 01:54:42 AM
Maybe.... Becouse riding a horse was only for nobles and important people in the medieval age. And since leveling makes you more mighty, you also get famous. And when ypu past the magical barrier of level 40, Voila! You are famous enough to ride.
*shrugs*

In medieval Europe (unlike Japan) there were no laws against anyone owning a horse. It is true that the average peasant could never hope to own one, but that is down to the expense of buying stabling and feeding one. They are costly animals to keep and only the wealthy could ride one.

The point is however, the limitation here is wealth, not fame, social status or martial prowess. Now, your average MMO charges you a large amount of gold for your mount, so why have the level limit as well?

The answer is obvious of course .... game balance. My point is though, that game balance is often not thought through and leads to unrealistic situations. Some of you might have played the Diablo-clone, Sacred. In Sacred you can get you first horse almost straight away. As the game progresses and you gain levels and money, you can buy faster and better horses. I wonder why no MMO has yet followed this model.

Dogar

Yeah, but other then that, Sacred was a rather poor game. Anyway, looking at games in such a way, perhaps not mounts, but Age of Conan will certainly follow much more of a develepment path then most other games do.
Xaryah Stormward.

Formerly known as Dogar Stormward, Chieftain.

Nahe ~ Coach of Team Tof ~ Blood Bowl (online) <DoW> season 1 ~ Pink yet deadly!

Claws

Its all that walking untill 40 that bugs me.
Still got blisters.
True Blood
Once a Blade Always a Blade.

Retired Right hand of the Blades.
Lived enough to be older and wiser then many pup's

Remember a journey is not a final destination.

Typhek

generally I think travelling is used as a time sink to prevent people progressing too fast - hence many simple quests involving zero difficulty but large amounts of 'take this message to Mr X, half a continent away' followed by 'thanks, but really Miss Y on the other side of the world should see this' and finally, 'ok... take this reply back to Mr X who will give you another message to take back to the first person and 6 silver pieces'. Not to mention the fact that mounts, especially flying, make many quests a hell of a lot easier simply by virtue of being able to outrun most mobs you don't need to kill - thereby enabling you to quest without having to waste time evading/fighting trash in the way.

City of Heroes/Villains makes a big deal out of giving you fast(ish) travel early on with an upgrade a few levels later. unfortunately the game, while fun at first, is exceedingly repetitive and boring after a while (even when compared to other grind fest mmo's).

as for carrot on stick working for wolves... well, you could beat the wolf with the stick. but i think beating wolves should come with a severe health warning. alternatively, the wolf may be chasing the rabit that tried to eat the carrot.

Vargukha

Might the reason be military disciplin?
The method of humbling the warrior to run run run until his feet bleed, and when he's feet are hard as steel he finally gets rewarded with a mount?
For The Blood of The Tribe!

Moggrash

Haveing a mount gives respect, so thats why you have to wait before you get one. Thats the same reason as there are no level 10 epics.
*shrugs*
The Hat-Lord