Welcome to Guest. Please log in or sign up.

May 23, 2024, 05:10:24 AM

Recent

Shoutbox

Razaron:
2024 May 14 17:54:07
The website has never looked better!
Zakarah:
2023 Dec 29 21:06:51
I think Rashka.exe has stopped working.
Rashka:
2023 Dec 28 20:49:43
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA... A.
Realyn/Eliff:
2023 Jul 22 22:17:06
Such shouty people in here, gosh.
Rashka:
2023 Jul 20 01:42:16
Remember to shout your lungs out every once in a while!!
Kozgugore:
2023 Jul 08 17:30:53
Shouting here to make sure everyone knows that I'm still here!
Ootah:
2022 Jan 24 23:27:52
Wow I can't believe I remembered my password!
Razaron:
2021 Dec 18 15:37:28
<dances>
Vraxxar:
2021 Nov 10 12:24:52
Remember to check both ways before crossing the plains!
Vraxxar:
2021 May 22 14:10:40
I too am testing the shoutbox for non-nefarious reasons.
Kozgugore:
2021 May 22 13:55:49
This is me testing the shoutbox, because shouting is a great stress relief and it would be a shame if it doesn't work.
Rashka:
2021 Mar 25 03:38:20
IM SHOUTING SO HARD RIGHT NOW YOU GUYS.
Claws:
2020 Nov 20 00:14:09
Ice cream for all
Realyn/Eliff:
2020 Oct 09 09:49:55
Happy Anniversary!!! It's party timeeee!
Vraxxar:
2020 Sep 24 12:39:42
Oh god. The warlock found the shoutbox!
Gashuk:
2020 Sep 23 16:42:21
THE SHOUTBOX. Omg. This was like proto-Discord.
Vraxxar:
2020 Aug 23 09:36:02
*Grabs a camera to record what happens*
Nakobu:
2020 Aug 22 16:24:43
*prods shoutbox*
Razaron:
2020 Jun 16 10:34:12
<dances>
Vraxxar:
2020 Jun 05 13:32:27
Swedish Pagans?
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 33082
  • Total Topics: 3067
  • Online Today: 73
  • Online Ever: 440
  • (January 13, 2020, 10:14:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 28
Total: 28
28 Guests, 0 Users

Speak your mind: Yap, yap!

Started by Morgeth, June 02, 2009, 12:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okiba

charizard, clearly.

more pills for this man!
Okiba Spearbreaker - Nag'Ogar and Warrior Monk of the Horde
"Strength, Discipline, Mastery."

Mazguul

I recall being given painkillers that made me see everything in pink... I also hallucinated bubbles everywhere and sat there giggling while trying to pop them. My friends thought it was hilarious watching me stabbing a finger in the air at nothing for hours on end. However... your little debate is a -way- more amusing story and my own!

Hope everything heals swiftly and you get better soon =)

And yes.... get that man more pills!

There be more than four elements, there be five! Folk always ferget the element o' SURPRISE!!!

Lars

His meds came in shots.
They have also given the worst needle phobic I know off orders of "give yourself a shot with a needle everyday for 20 days". I smiled gleefully in an evil way.
Muzjhath got Iced by Sadok, after Marogg got Stabbed.

-The orc formerly known as Muzjhath formerly known as Marogg

Therak

It's 10 days, until the 20th. Listen up nubface or shut it!
Think, assess, act.

Thanuk

Hey folks

My laptop died today. Like, seriously died. So I'm not sure I'll make it to any events in the nearest future. Trying to get some kind of replacement until I can afford a new one. So yea, see you when I see you.

Mazguul

Your laptop died too?! D= That's terrible news!!! I hope things are sorted out for you soon =(

On another note:

Short version: busy, will be around a lot less for a few days.

Long version: I will be away for a few days (possibly a week) and only popping in and out of WoW occasionally. A good friend of mine from parts foreign has decided he'd like to visit for an unspecified amount of time and so I can't in good conscience sit on my foul PC every night while he complains that he can't play too... as much as I'd like to do it just to annoy him!

Instead I shall be -forced- to play Dominion, Munchkin and Fluxx while having booze thrown down my throat and being subjected to not having to cook. Oh the torture ;)

Toodles! *hugs*
There be more than four elements, there be five! Folk always ferget the element o' SURPRISE!!!

Therak

Think, assess, act.

Greggar

*sigh* Yep... I think Cupid corpsecamped me with his golden heart arrows... This is sooo bad for studying though.

Someone please help me kill cupid, he's been camping me for hours when i need to study!
Because orcs are green..Doesn't mean they can do photosynthesis..Or can they?

Thanuk

I'm having this really annoying game-crash problem that keeps forcing me to reboot. This greatly interrupts especially RP events for me, and my patience is really running out. I've explained the problem here, with no answer though: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1622902706

I've also mailed Tech Support directly, but you know they take their time :/

Anyone got a clue on this? I would hate to crash during the event this friday :-(

Regorn

Hello random bunch of orcs
kinda...

but anyway, I wonder if someone could give me a bit of feedback on my "Regorns voice on the winds" thread "Story"
I whould not like to pause it in a big load of ooc in order to get feedback and I whould not like to create an entire new threads for something that little

wonder this as....
the English is acceptible?
the story line ain't to confusing?
uppdate time is good?
etc. etc. anyting and criticism is very welcomed

thanks in advance
"Names does not matter, only who you are" - An old Friend from past, Thar'grash Thunderfury

Kergash

Quote from: Thanuk on January 27, 2011, 11:28:21 PM
I'm having this really annoying game-crash problem that keeps forcing me to reboot. This greatly interrupts especially RP events for me, and my patience is really running out. I've explained the problem here, with no answer though: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1622902706

Anyone got a clue on this? I would hate to crash during the event this friday :-(

Well, I'm not really an expert anymore (I used to work in a computer store when I was a kid and studied computer science and communication technology for a few years, but haven't really touched this line of work for the last 10 years so I'm "a little" out of date), but maybe I can give you a few pointers. take it with a grain of salt though, like I said, I'm not an expert, this may very well be complete and utter rubbish.

When I was working in the computer store and we got in PCs/laptops that had sudden freezes/system lockups like you described (screen distortions, nothing works anymore, you can just reboot the system), it was in almost all of the cases one of two things:

1. A temperature spike in the GPU (graphic card's main processor) or the CPU (computers main processor). The greenish screen distortions do indicate that the problem would more likely to be with the GPU. Temperature spikes are usually caused by overheating of said processing units. Overheating can be caused by a too high system temperature (the whole PC/laptop is getting too warm inside), insufficient cooling of the graphic card/main processor (sometimes the fan may be too weak, malfunctioning or not installed properly) or by "overclocking" (setting the GPU/CUP to work faster than it was intended by the manufacturer).

My advice would be to monitor your system, CPU and GPU temperatures. Almost all PCs/laptops nowadays have sensors for internal temperatures of core modules so all you need is some random freeware programm to display those temperatures and maybe issue a warning when the temperature is getting too high. I'm afraid you'll have to google that up to find such a problem, because as I said, I'm 10 years out of touch :). Keep in mind though that even if your system temperature is fine, you can still get temperature spikes. Temperature spikes are highly localized (your CPU/GPU may have a perfectly normal temperature where the sensor is situated but in one tiny area, just like a square millimeter the temperature can peak at a few hundred degrees in a matter of seconds).

You can also just "feel" if your laptop is getting really hot while you play. If it feels hot to you, I definatly would look at cooling it down. There are certain "mounts" for laptops, that look a bit like a mixture of a small platform that is shaped like a clamp the size of a laptop. The reason is that having a laptop plainly on the table can lead to overheating since the air vents on the backside get blocked because the table does not allow the hot air to escape. With these cooler platforms you create a space between laptop and table so the hot air can escape better.

You can also try to do the opposite of "overclocking", to force your graphic card/CPU to work slower than intended. again, you'll need to google up some freeware programm that allows you to do that, or there may already be one with your laptop. Gaming laptops usually come with overclocking software, which can in turn be used to slow down your system.

2. the second possible reason for lockups like you described them is a messup in the computer's memory banks, usually caused by faulty memory chips. In this cache unfortunatly the only thing to do is to replace your memory chips, which can be complicated to do with a laptop.

All in all, from my experience lockups like you described were always caused by a hardware problem, in all the time I worked in the computer shop, not once did I see a computer that was given for repair do this because of a software issue, or a malfunctioning game. Again... take it with a grain of salt, since this experience is 10 years old, things may look different nowadays.

If you suspect it may be overheating or a memory problem, the best test would be to get a random graphic-heavy game, like an ego shooter and play it straight at highest settings for 5+ hours. If you experience the same lockups, then there's most likely something wrong with your hardware and you could think about invoking your warranty. If other games run flawlessly, it may still be a hardware issue, since different games stress different parts of your GPU/CPU but then things would be a little more delicate because it's possible if you send in your laptop and they can't reproduce the error. In this case they may send you the laptop back without fixing it.

There are also "stress test" programmes for computers that put all parts of a PC/laptop under heavy stress to try and trigger problems as you have them and isolate them. They are however not guaranteed to work, since sometimes the problem only appears after hours of using your computer, while these programmes usually only run 5-15 minutes. It may be worth a shot though.

Again, please bear in mind that my advice is most likely utterly outdated and amateurish, but maybe I could give you a few pointers so you can try a few things and if you have a suspicion google up for more recent and professional information.

Thanuk

Quote from: Kergash on February 01, 2011, 01:01:11 PM
Quote from: Thanuk on January 27, 2011, 11:28:21 PM

Well, I'm not really an expert anymore (I used to work in a computer store when I was a kid and studied computer science and communication technology for a few years, but haven't really touched this line of work for the last 10 years so I'm "a little" out of date), but maybe I can give you a few pointers. take it with a grain of salt though, like I said, I'm not an expert, this may very well be complete and utter rubbish.

When I was working in the computer store and we got in PCs/laptops that had sudden freezes/system lockups like you described (screen distortions, nothing works anymore, you can just reboot the system), it was in almost all of the cases one of two things:

1. A temperature spike in the GPU (graphic card's main processor) or the CPU (computers main processor). The greenish screen distortions do indicate that the problem would more likely to be with the GPU. Temperature spikes are usually caused by overheating of said processing units. Overheating can be caused by a too high system temperature (the whole PC/laptop is getting too warm inside), insufficient cooling of the graphic card/main processor (sometimes the fan may be too weak, malfunctioning or not installed properly) or by "overclocking" (setting the GPU/CUP to work faster than it was intended by the manufacturer).

My advice would be to monitor your system, CPU and GPU temperatures. Almost all PCs/laptops nowadays have sensors for internal temperatures of core modules so all you need is some random freeware programm to display those temperatures and maybe issue a warning when the temperature is getting too high. I'm afraid you'll have to google that up to find such a problem, because as I said, I'm 10 years out of touch :). Keep in mind though that even if your system temperature is fine, you can still get temperature spikes. Temperature spikes are highly localized (your CPU/GPU may have a perfectly normal temperature where the sensor is situated but in one tiny area, just like a square millimeter the temperature can peak at a few hundred degrees in a matter of seconds).

You can also just "feel" if your laptop is getting really hot while you play. If it feels hot to you, I definatly would look at cooling it down. There are certain "mounts" for laptops, that look a bit like a mixture of a small platform that is shaped like a clamp the size of a laptop. The reason is that having a laptop plainly on the table can lead to overheating since the air vents on the backside get blocked because the table does not allow the hot air to escape. With these cooler platforms you create a space between laptop and table so the hot air can escape better.

You can also try to do the opposite of "overclocking", to force your graphic card/CPU to work slower than intended. again, you'll need to google up some freeware programm that allows you to do that, or there may already be one with your laptop. Gaming laptops usually come with overclocking software, which can in turn be used to slow down your system.

2. the second possible reason for lockups like you described them is a messup in the computer's memory banks, usually caused by faulty memory chips. In this cache unfortunatly the only thing to do is to replace your memory chips, which can be complicated to do with a laptop.

All in all, from my experience lockups like you described were always caused by a hardware problem, in all the time I worked in the computer shop, not once did I see a computer that was given for repair do this because of a software issue, or a malfunctioning game. Again... take it with a grain of salt, since this experience is 10 years old, things may look different nowadays.

If you suspect it may be overheating or a memory problem, the best test would be to get a random graphic-heavy game, like an ego shooter and play it straight at highest settings for 5+ hours. If you experience the same lockups, then there's most likely something wrong with your hardware and you could think about invoking your warranty. If other games run flawlessly, it may still be a hardware issue, since different games stress different parts of your GPU/CPU but then things would be a little more delicate because it's possible if you send in your laptop and they can't reproduce the error. In this case they may send you the laptop back without fixing it.

There are also "stress test" programmes for computers that put all parts of a PC/laptop under heavy stress to try and trigger problems as you have them and isolate them. They are however not guaranteed to work, since sometimes the problem only appears after hours of using your computer, while these programmes usually only run 5-15 minutes. It may be worth a shot though.

Again, please bear in mind that my advice is most likely utterly outdated and amateurish, but maybe I could give you a few pointers so you can try a few things and if you have a suspicion google up for more recent and professional information.

I called Alienware support a few days ago, and the guy there was sure that it was a hardware problem, so I could get my money back without any problems. So I did, and now I have a much better ASUS laptop. But thanks alot for the answers, though :)

Morgeth

Hey, Regorn!

I think the stories you post are interesting (and I can't believe you've kept it up for so long) and the english is quite understandable, and the plot itself tasty too! It's always nice to take part of the creativity of others, so keep it coming. My warlock heritage hinders further praise D:
I want to be just like you. I figure all I need, is a lobotomy and some tights.

Regorn

Quote from: Morgeth on February 05, 2011, 01:18:02 PM
Hey, Regorn!

I think the stories you post are interesting (and I can't believe you've kept it up for so long) and the english is quite understandable, and the plot itself tasty too! It's always nice to take part of the creativity of others, so keep it coming. My warlock heritage hinders further praise D:
I was praised by a warlock
I feel violated D:
XD

anyway... going off to write an other part of the story
"Names does not matter, only who you are" - An old Friend from past, Thar'grash Thunderfury

Therak

I have thought a long time on this, but I'll be transferring Nirek away from DB. Quite frankly everytime I think of logging on DB, I just feel really unmotivated. While I play alot on Argent Dawn. I'll keep Gruthikk around for if I feel like going back to RPing here though.
Think, assess, act.