Welcome to Guest. Please log in or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 02:58:40 AM

Recent

Shoutbox

Zakarah:
2023 Dec 29 21:06:51
I think Rashka.exe has stopped working.
Rashka:
2023 Dec 28 20:49:43
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA... A.
Realyn/Eliff:
2023 Jul 22 22:17:06
Such shouty people in here, gosh.
Rashka:
2023 Jul 20 01:42:16
Remember to shout your lungs out every once in a while!!
Kozgugore:
2023 Jul 08 17:30:53
Shouting here to make sure everyone knows that I'm still here!
Ootah:
2022 Jan 24 23:27:52
Wow I can't believe I remembered my password!
Razaron:
2021 Dec 18 15:37:28
<dances>
Vraxxar:
2021 Nov 10 12:24:52
Remember to check both ways before crossing the plains!
Vraxxar:
2021 May 22 14:10:40
I too am testing the shoutbox for non-nefarious reasons.
Kozgugore:
2021 May 22 13:55:49
This is me testing the shoutbox, because shouting is a great stress relief and it would be a shame if it doesn't work.
Rashka:
2021 Mar 25 03:38:20
IM SHOUTING SO HARD RIGHT NOW YOU GUYS.
Claws:
2020 Nov 20 00:14:09
Ice cream for all
Realyn/Eliff:
2020 Oct 09 09:49:55
Happy Anniversary!!! It's party timeeee!
Vraxxar:
2020 Sep 24 12:39:42
Oh god. The warlock found the shoutbox!
Gashuk:
2020 Sep 23 16:42:21
THE SHOUTBOX. Omg. This was like proto-Discord.
Vraxxar:
2020 Aug 23 09:36:02
*Grabs a camera to record what happens*
Nakobu:
2020 Aug 22 16:24:43
*prods shoutbox*
Razaron:
2020 Jun 16 10:34:12
<dances>
Vraxxar:
2020 Jun 05 13:32:27
Swedish Pagans?
Kozgugore:
2020 Jun 01 09:45:09
You're invoking the wrong gods in this place!
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 33082
  • Total Topics: 3067
  • Online Today: 237
  • Online Ever: 440
  • (January 13, 2020, 10:14:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 148
Total: 148
148 Guests, 0 Users

The Nature of Things

Started by Kozgugore, September 12, 2014, 02:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kozgugore

’By the time you realize that just perhaps your father was right, you will probably have a son who thinks you are wrong.’
- Roktakhor, Warsong scout

The Nature of Things

"Hail the warriors brave and true!”

The young voice pierced the air. It sung in a joyous and yet industrious tone as, in between the words, the blade of an axe met with a tall tree’s solid bark.

“Honour the kin that fought for you!”

Another chop. The rhythm of the song synced up perfectly with the continued chopping against the bark of the groaning tree.

“Heed the beckons and heed the call!”

The chopping continued. In the distance, approaching footsteps could be heard, as if joining the song like a warlike drum.

“We'll meet once more in the Wolfking’s Hall!”

With a final chop, the moaning tree at last gave in and soon came tumbling down to the ground, leafs fluttering through the sky like snow on a peaceful winter day.

“You swing that axe like a Hellscream in dire straits,” a heavier voice came from the direction of the footsteps, laden with contentment. “A pity the trees do not fight back. Or you would have been the next Warchief in line to be certain.” A smile curled upon the lips of the tall orc who now stood in front of the young orc boy, whose axe was firmly clenched in his sweaty hands. The boy lifted his eyes to meet with the fatherly gaze, youthful defiance meeting face to face with elderly experience.

“This tree can’t be any softer than a man’s skull. Tree or not, I can chop them off if I have to,” the boy replied. His small, not yet full-grown tusks formed a playful smile in the corners of his mouth as he raised the axe up high, feigning a certainly heroic-looking swing from left to right.

“It is no easy task to sever a man's head,” the bigger orc had barely finished his sentence or he reached out to swiftly grab the hilt of the axe mid-swing, disarming the boy in a fluid motion. In little more than a second, the sharp blade reversed course, and instead  turned towards the boy’s neck. Thankfully enough, it stayed its course safely away from its target, as instead, the tall orc grunted back, amusedly. “You must find the right angle. Let alone a dwarf’s.”

The boy shot a condemning glare back to his peer, which only made the orc grow even more amused, flashing his fangs in a cheerful grin. He lowered the axe, and instead placed his hand firmly upon the boy’s shoulder as he turned and led him away from the felled tree.

“Do not worry for it, Kraag. You have plenty more years to perfect your tree- or head-felling technique,” the orc nodded down to the boy as he rested the sturdy axe upon his own shoulder. "You have already come a long way for one your age. It lifts spirit to know you already stand strong and wise enough to look after your brother and sister when time demands it.”

This statement appeared to alarm the boy Kraag, as he looked up with wide, open eyes to the senior orc. “Why do you say that? Are you planning to leave us again? Why can’t you look after us for once, dad?”

The orc could feel his son’s judgemental gaze staring back at him. He came to a halt as he grunted in amusement, squatting down to meet with the height of Kraag’s own eyes. “By Hellfire I am. Calm rattled nerve, pup. I intend to stay for as long as I can. I always do. I have stood by your side for the past months, have I not? Imagine you had to subdue those elementals of the fire by yourself. You would be stealing all manner of fun away from me. We cannot stand for that, can we?” the orc smiled slyly back at Kraag.

“Just don’t leave,” Kraag replied, looking down to avoid his father’s gaze in a surly manner. “Not until you really have to. I don’t want to look after Kat and Muzg by myself. They only listen to a grown-up.”

Kraag’s father grunted in a mirthful tone once again. “Those two but bear a defiant nature within. They are true beasts, born of the heart. In the end, they will listen to their bigger brother. In some clans, the age of six is old enough to be considered adult. Old enough to be led into battle.”

“And in some clans, they dance around the statue of a giant penis every year!” Kraag replied back sullenly as he raised his gaze back up. “Doesn’t mean it’s a great idea!”

“Ha!” the elder orc burst out in a loud chuckle. “You talk just like your mother. Same big mouth on you. And too damned sharp-witted for your own good.” He raised himself back up to his feet as he twisted the axe and held its hilt out to Kraag once more. “Here. Take care of the wood and take the rest of the day off. I will tend to the remaining tasks. After all, I have as much reason to leave the three of you as the wolf has reason to chase ghosts.”

With a final pat on the back, the orc sent Kraag off to tend to the wood. A smile still lingered upon his lips as he gazed after the boy running off into the distance. Soon enough, he turned to continue on his own way.

There was another, familiar face waiting for him there, however.

“Now you show your face again. Afraid the children might look too happy to see you?”

The remark conjured an artful smirk upon the features of the airily robed she-orc who stood in front of him. “Y’ know i’ doesnae work tha’ way, Kozgu. Y’ are th’only one w’ose heart I belong in.”

“And the only one foolish enough to believe it,” Kozgugore remarked petulantly. “But I trust there is a reason you have come to liven me up with your presence once again. Not a moon goes by without you showing and disappearing of late.”

“Tha’ depends,” the female replied as she reached a hand out to the taller orc. Her hand lingered over patches of flesh and leather, and yet, her touch felt ever so far away. As if he still couldn’t reach out for it. He remained motionless as she slowly walked around him, curiously so. “Why are y’ still ‘ere, Kozgu? Y’ cannae lie t’ ‘em forever. Th’world doesnae stan’ still w’ile y’ ‘ide ‘ere.”

His gaze cautiously followed her as she motioned herself around, like a preying vulture circling a way-worn kodo upon the sands. “I have to take responsibility for my family. For what little family I have left,” he grunted quietly, turning his gaze for just a moment to look out to the toiling orc child in the distance. “I once said to you that a child absent parents is a child absent future. In the face of this, the irony is sharp as whetted steel. They have been left to fend for themselves too many times. So I pass on to him however much I can, before fate sees fit to remove me of this earth.”

“Tha’s a goo’ cause… ‘onourable,” the female smiled fondly back to the orc. “Bu’ y’ time will be shor’. Y’cannae stay gone fo’ever. Y’ ‘ave ot’er duties. T’ey will need y’ soon.”

“Why?” Kozgugore scoffed back to the female. “You hold power to pierce future's veil now? Who â€" or what â€" would possibly offer enough reason for me to abandon my children? -You-?”

“Nae. Nae’ yet,” she softly replied as she halted her steps, and came face to face with him once more. “Bu’ somet’ing will. Y’ shoul’ return. Y’pack needs y’.”

He was still mulling over the meaning of her words when suddenly, she grabbed him by the shoulders. As if out of a wicked display of affection, she lifted her head back, only to fiercely knock her forehead against his own. The blow blinded him for a moment as he recoiled, growling in pain. He lifted a hand to his forehead as he staggered and sought to regain both control and sight, but before either could return to him in full, he could already tell.

She was gone, once again.
Kozgugore Feraleye - Chieftain of the Red Blade

Grekthar

((Oooh! A wild Kozzy returns :D Love the tale :) ))

I feel like I'm the only sane one in this Tribe. And I have four elementals living in my skull!

Sadok

((A fine tale from a fine man... orc... whatever. Enjoyed it, hope to see more!))

Okiba

((A brilliant story koz! very much enjoyed it. The choice of art too was nice :D moar cheesecake ))
Okiba Spearbreaker - Nag'Ogar and Warrior Monk of the Horde
"Strength, Discipline, Mastery."

Rargnasha

(( Awesome story! :D And who is our whimsical, headbutting female? Is she the one and only who we think she is..? Or someone else?! And.. Koz returning! *Celebrates with complimentary waffles.* ))
Appendix means... What?!

Kozgugore

(( Muchas graçias! I've hit a bit of a writing mood, so more weird, random stuff may follow someday! ))
Kozgugore Feraleye - Chieftain of the Red Blade