Welcome to Guest. Please log in or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 03:24:00 AM

Recent

Shoutbox

Razaron:
2024 May 14 17:54:07
The website has never looked better!
Zakarah:
2023 Dec 29 21:06:51
I think Rashka.exe has stopped working.
Rashka:
2023 Dec 28 20:49:43
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA... A.
Realyn/Eliff:
2023 Jul 22 22:17:06
Such shouty people in here, gosh.
Rashka:
2023 Jul 20 01:42:16
Remember to shout your lungs out every once in a while!!
Kozgugore:
2023 Jul 08 17:30:53
Shouting here to make sure everyone knows that I'm still here!
Ootah:
2022 Jan 24 23:27:52
Wow I can't believe I remembered my password!
Razaron:
2021 Dec 18 15:37:28
<dances>
Vraxxar:
2021 Nov 10 12:24:52
Remember to check both ways before crossing the plains!
Vraxxar:
2021 May 22 14:10:40
I too am testing the shoutbox for non-nefarious reasons.
Kozgugore:
2021 May 22 13:55:49
This is me testing the shoutbox, because shouting is a great stress relief and it would be a shame if it doesn't work.
Rashka:
2021 Mar 25 03:38:20
IM SHOUTING SO HARD RIGHT NOW YOU GUYS.
Claws:
2020 Nov 20 00:14:09
Ice cream for all
Realyn/Eliff:
2020 Oct 09 09:49:55
Happy Anniversary!!! It's party timeeee!
Vraxxar:
2020 Sep 24 12:39:42
Oh god. The warlock found the shoutbox!
Gashuk:
2020 Sep 23 16:42:21
THE SHOUTBOX. Omg. This was like proto-Discord.
Vraxxar:
2020 Aug 23 09:36:02
*Grabs a camera to record what happens*
Nakobu:
2020 Aug 22 16:24:43
*prods shoutbox*
Razaron:
2020 Jun 16 10:34:12
<dances>
Vraxxar:
2020 Jun 05 13:32:27
Swedish Pagans?
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 33082
  • Total Topics: 3067
  • Online Today: 78
  • Online Ever: 440
  • (January 13, 2020, 10:14:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 85
Total: 85
85 Guests, 0 Users

SWTOR

Started by Akesha, January 14, 2012, 11:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akesha

Hello thar Orcs. I'm kicking around a few ideas and I need a bit of info from you lovely people to see if it would be worth pursuing.

Basically, what impact is SWTOR having on you? Have you tried it? Will you continue to play it? Perhaps you've tried it but didn't like it, or maybe you you like it and intend to subscribe? Will you play both WoW and SWTOR from now on, or do you intend to give up WoW and move over to SWTOR?

... and the most important question (and why I want to know your views), if there was a gild over on SWTOR that was a sister guild to OotRB, would you be interested in joining it? Would you still be interested if that meant you had to roll on a specific server, a particular faction and perhaps even roll particular classes, or do you think, "When I start a new game, I want to start afresh with a new guild, new people"?

I know of guilds in the past which have successfully existed in more than one game at once. However, these guilds have not usually been RP guilds. Is is possible for us to have a guild in both WoW and SWTOR and for both to be successful? I want to know your views.

Regards

Akesha

Okiba

i got rather bored of it rather fast. That said alot of DB players have run off to start playing it, but are slowly trickeling back.

I give it another 2 months before the hub-ub dies away completely.
Okiba Spearbreaker - Nag'Ogar and Warrior Monk of the Horde
"Strength, Discipline, Mastery."

Sadok

Eh, a few thoughts of mine.

Firstly, we're all here (at least partly) because we were drawn to the concept of orcs and/or the Warcraft universe. Establishing a consensus for a similar RP concept in an entirely different MMO will be nigh impossible; at the very least, I've never been terribly drawn to the SW setting (even after playing the rather hit-and-miss KotOR games), nor have ever had an inclination to RP a Jedi/bounty hunter/Sith (I'm a Trekkie, sue me :D).

Secondly (and more importantly), both SWTOR and WoW are subscription-based games, and as such I doubt maintaining two guilds in two games is a sustainable endeavor without ultimately splitting ORB in half (indeed, some of our members have problems paying one subscription fee).

Frankly, the most such a proposition would do is irreparably fracture our guild's base between two subscription fee-based games.

Loial

i would love to exple swor with red bladers , was going to set up in a few weeks from now i was thinking....
if other red bladers i gladly join in to see what this game is about  :)
I slap those lazy orcs with my big stick!

Akesha

Quote from: Sadok Sharptongue on January 14, 2012, 09:25:28 PM
Eh, a few thoughts of mine.

Firstly, we're all here (at least partly) because we were drawn to the concept of orcs and/or the Warcraft universe. Establishing a consensus for a similar RP concept in an entirely different MMO will be nigh impossible; at the very least, I've never been terribly drawn to the SW setting (even after playing the rather hit-and-miss KotOR games), nor have ever had an inclination to RP a Jedi/bounty hunter/Sith (I'm a Trekkie, sue me :D).

Secondly (and more importantly), both SWTOR and WoW are subscription-based games, and as such I doubt maintaining two guilds in two games is a sustainable endeavor without ultimately splitting ORB in half (indeed, some of our members have problems paying one subscription fee).

Frankly, the most such a proposition would do is irreparably fracture our guild's base between two subscription fee-based games.

I totally take your point. I am sure many of your members over the years wanted to play an orc first and chose to join OotRB as a result. Personally that was never the motivation for me. OotRB just happens to be orcs because it seemed to be the race which might work. What drove me to create this guild was the idea that an RP guild is not just a guild full of roleplayers. To me an RP guild at its best is an organisation that would actually realistically exist in the game setting. It has a clearly defined theme and role in the world and requires its members to fit that theme.

Now it is really not my intention to split up OotRB, but the reality is that people leave. People always have left and will continue to leave. OotRB still exists because those those people have been continually replaced by new members. The idea of having a guild presence in another game is that when people leave OotRB they have an option to go play with people they already know.

This does not mean however that a SWTOR version of the Red Blades would only accept OotRB members. What it does mean is that the two guilds would be officially linked, founded on the same principles and share the same philosophy.

Anyway, I appreciate your feed back. So far two people think its a bad idea and one in favour. What do the rest of you think?

Loial

well, just becouse there are something at swtor, it whont mean everybody has to join it aswell, nd i'm not afraid it's gonna splitt the tribe, the tribe is what it is, and hold up strong for so many many years now couse it is what it is.

another guild in an other game with some of the same old orb players and new ones whon't risk orb i believe  :)

so, what kind og guild did you have in mind akesha for swtor? i'll gladly would love to elaborate the idea and make something fun of it, if i'm now gonna try the game atleast  :D

Vezara

I am playing TOR, and will most likely keep doing so as i am loving this game. But i've already found a guild i like a lot so i doubt i'll be leaving it. :P

EDIT: As for the question regarding playing both. I'm not sure really, i haven't played WoW for the past 9 days and honestly i don't miss it that much. But we'll see, i guess.
Vezara Wolfheart - Shaman of the Frostwolf Clan.

Lars

Got SWTOR today for free.
But I know I won't play for that long. I'll see some stories, maybe RP some. But well can't see myself playing far more than 2/3 months really.
Otherwise I'm on the Lord Calypso/whatever RP-PvP server.
Muzjhath got Iced by Sadok, after Marogg got Stabbed.

-The orc formerly known as Muzjhath formerly known as Marogg

Akesha

Well it's not looking hopeful so far.

I won't be playing on the RP-PvP server Marogg. Despite choosing an RP-PvP server to create OotRB, years of playing other MMOs has forced me to the conclusion that the quality of RP is often better on RP-PvE servers. You can do everything in an RP-PvE server that you can on an RP-PvP server, except randomly attacking people while they're questing (and I never did that on WoW anyway).

I will probably go ahead and create my own guild regardless of the outcome here. I've done it in every MMO I'm played seriously simply because I've not found the guild I want to join, so made it myself. If there is no support for it here though, I just won't link it with OotRB.

Loial, I did think about creating a military guild full of troopers. Several of those exist already, but I don't like the look of any of them. I mean, why insist on uniforms when everyone looks like a trooper anyway? As for their "You've fought your way across the galaxy, but we're going to treat you like some rookie fresh out of boot camp" attitude ... well no, not for me. So, I'm thinking Imperial (probably because I'm English) and perhaps a guild based on Imperial Intelligence.

Kozgugore

As I stated before, I'm quite fine with this, though the obvious risks have been stated already. I suppose not many people are planning to play both games at once, so aside from proclaiming that it's from some of the same people from OotRB, I suppose there's not that much of a link between the two. Still, I'm quite fine with the idea for whoever who does want to give it a try. Myself, I'll be waiting it out until after I've played all the way through Mass Effect 3. With any luck, I'll be in the sci-fi mood by then anyway.
Kozgugore Feraleye - Chieftain of the Red Blade

Loial

just send me an pm then akesha if you do start one, i gladly join, sounds fun enough =)

Grogok

What Rp-PvE server are you planing on playing on Akesha? because i am playing Swtor aswell, and so far i still find it alot of fun, the only problem is that i always get killed by lvl 50's when i am questing in lvl 30's zone or summit similar so i was thinking of joining on a Rp-PvE server just to see if there was anything different.

Braggha

I am actively playing SWTOR now. Our guild (The Hungering Cold) rolled SWTOR on Republic side, on Lord Calypho RP-PvP server.

Game looks promising, tho is full of bugs, and i am not very fond of current combat mechanic. Also, Republic side doesnt look appealing to me that much, so thinking of rolling Sith, but probably will not happen, as I'm quite attached to ThC commmunity.

Currently my main focus is SWTOR, tho i started to play WoW on my rogue couple of days ago. Guess i will see if bugs gonna be fixed. Also, i never been huge of Star Wars fan, so probably not gonna roleplay in there.

Future plans - see if TOR die or not, see if our WoW server active again or not. Currently, there is more players in TOR main city than in Orgrimmar at peak hours. I will play one mmo for sure, maybe both of them, pretty casually, cause recent denial of seasonal time changes making it very hard for me to raid full time, even if I want.

PvE server is not a variant for me, PvP is my main driving reason to play game.

Grekthar

Well atm, I'm not gonna RP on TOR yet until the RP community itself can sort out some ground rules. Well TOR is basically KOTOR 3 so everyone on the game is going to end up as the ultimate whatever by the end of the current story. Don't want to name specs since I know some peeps here hate spoilers.

And with the novels out there as well, people will be tempted to cite those as references for the powers that they'll RP their Jedi/Sith with. Not got a clue? Take a look at Force powers on http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_power

Now that you've seen the list of powers you can kinda see my worries...so for now on TOR, im focussing on just playing my guys storys on the Flames of the Crucible server (yeah thats right PvE, I'm doing PvE on there till I'm used to the new classes and stuff, then I'll go different routes with them on a PvP server)

I feel like I'm the only sane one in this Tribe. And I have four elementals living in my skull!

Akesha

Quote from: Grekthar on January 24, 2012, 01:34:41 AM
Well atm, I'm not gonna RP on TOR yet until the RP community itself can sort out some ground rules. Well TOR is basically KOTOR 3 so everyone on the game is going to end up as the ultimate whatever by the end of the current story. Don't want to name specs since I know some peeps here hate spoilers.

And with the novels out there as well, people will be tempted to cite those as references for the powers that they'll RP their Jedi/Sith with. Not got a clue? Take a look at Force powers on http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_power

Now that you've seen the list of powers you can kinda see my worries...so for now on TOR, im focussing on just playing my guys storys on the Flames of the Crucible server (yeah thats right PvE, I'm doing PvE on there till I'm used to the new classes and stuff, then I'll go different routes with them on a PvP server)

I see where you're coming from on this, but its exactly the same in every other mmo really. Sit in Orgrimmar and everyone is some super warrior with a nine foot long sword and riding a dragon. The rp guilds I've come across so far seem to be emphasising the opposite though and taking the approach of playing rank and file members of their organisations. I know of a couple of excellent military guilds on the republic side playing troopers and some promising guilds on the Imperial side.

That said, all the guild which appeal to me are down playing the force. Some do not even allow force users as members. Fine by me, as the non force users in SW are far more interesting characters to me.

As for server choice, I'm now playing on Progenitor on the Imperial side (gone from WoW huntard to Sniper :)). I'm not playing rp-pvp because after years of doing just that, I've come to the conclusion that the rp-pve servers generally have a more rp friendly community. By that I mean that the non-roleplayers roll there for the supposedly more mature attitude and just let the roleplayers get on with it. You tend not to get the retards who think it's funny to disrupt rp. You can still do all the organised rp-pvp stuff on an rp-pve server, without all the crap that comes with it.

I've completely shelved all plans to form a guild for one simple reason: having come up with an idea for the type of guild I wanted to form, I then discover that there is already one just like it. So, I'm going to apply to join that one instead. A kind of Imperial Intelligence thing with agents and bounty hunters and no stoopid Sith breathing down our necks.

The game so far is great if you can ignore all the bugs, which I can because whilst being annoying, none of them are game breaking. The only thing that really annoys me right now is the lack of chat bubbles - but I imagine they will be coming soon.

Anyway, feel free to say "Hello" to an old retired orc. I've finally decided on a main called Erion, a (male) Imperial Agent with magnificent sideburns.

Regards

Akesha