Orcs of the Red Blade

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 05:06:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Shoutbox

Zakarah:
2023 Dec 29 20:06:51
I think Rashka.exe has stopped working.
Rashka:
2023 Dec 28 19:49:43
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA... A.
Realyn/Eliff:
2023 Jul 22 21:17:06
Such shouty people in here, gosh.
Rashka:
2023 Jul 20 00:42:16
Remember to shout your lungs out every once in a while!!
Kozgugore:
2023 Jul 08 16:30:53
Shouting here to make sure everyone knows that I'm still here!
Ootah:
2022 Jan 24 22:27:52
Wow I can't believe I remembered my password!
Razaron:
2021 Dec 18 14:37:28
<dances>
Vraxxar:
2021 Nov 10 11:24:52
Remember to check both ways before crossing the plains!
Vraxxar:
2021 May 22 13:10:40
I too am testing the shoutbox for non-nefarious reasons.
Kozgugore:
2021 May 22 12:55:49
This is me testing the shoutbox, because shouting is a great stress relief and it would be a shame if it doesn't work.
Rashka:
2021 Mar 25 02:38:20
IM SHOUTING SO HARD RIGHT NOW YOU GUYS.
Claws:
2020 Nov 19 23:14:09
Ice cream for all
Realyn/Eliff:
2020 Oct 09 08:49:55
Happy Anniversary!!! It's party timeeee!
Vraxxar:
2020 Sep 24 11:39:42
Oh god. The warlock found the shoutbox!
Gashuk:
2020 Sep 23 15:42:21
THE SHOUTBOX. Omg. This was like proto-Discord.
Vraxxar:
2020 Aug 23 08:36:02
*Grabs a camera to record what happens*
Nakobu:
2020 Aug 22 15:24:43
*prods shoutbox*
Razaron:
2020 Jun 16 09:34:12
<dances>
Vraxxar:
2020 Jun 05 12:32:27
Swedish Pagans?
Kozgugore:
2020 Jun 01 08:45:09
You're invoking the wrong gods in this place!
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 33082
  • Total Topics: 3067
  • Online Today: 94
  • Online Ever: 440
  • (January 13, 2020, 10:14:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 33
Total: 33
33 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Character Voices  (Read 3269 times)

Nakobu

• Elder
  • Cub
    • View Profile
Character Voices
« on: March 31, 2020, 01:18:25 PM »
Hey orcs! We've spoken about our characters' voices a few times in Discord, but I thought to myself: "Why not make a permanent thread on the site like we do the IC opinions of other orcs?". So that is exactly what I did, as you can plainly see! I'm sure our orcs all have slight (or major!) differences from the standard orc and mag'har voiceovers in-game, so this is the place to share those! Whether it's just a description of how you imagine the voice to be, or a reference to a real life person, in-game NPC or character from another bit of media, feel free to state it in here. I'll start us off with Nakobu!

Nakobu:
Having been raised within draenei society upon Draenor since he was practically a newborn, Nakobu has developed quite the heavy draenic accent - something that is very obvious and apparent whenever he speaks the Orcish or Common tongue. Thus, Nakobu slows down his speech somewhat when he speaks such langauges, aiming to make himself more easily understood by most. Due to his orcish vocal chords, Nakobu's voice sounds a bit lower than perhaps your average draenei's.

Grand Artificer Romuul from Legion gives a good idea of what comes to mind when I think about how Nakobu speaks:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 06:04:30 PM by Nar'thak »

Nosh'marak

• Elder
  • Alpha
    • View Profile
Re: Character Voices
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 02:26:08 PM »
Very nice initiative, and I'll definitely join in!

Nosh'marak Ironclaw
As one born to slavery and gladitorial battles, Ironclaw's voice, whilst perhaps rarely heard speaking more than a few words at a time, reflects his experience and harsh nature. It's a deep, rumbling voice that carries heavy weight and adds a sting to every word. I'd say I imagine his voice as somewhat of either a down-pitched Marauder from Doom, found here:
=105

Or Alduin from Skyrim, found here:
"Dogs obey and whimper, wolves carve their own path with a roar! Let the Alliance hear your cries for battle! Rrosh'ka Valokh! For the Blood!"

Tahara

• Path of Wisdom
  • Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 05:57:25 PM »
Character voices is one of the first things I have to figure out before I can properly rp a character, so this is ez

Tahara Beastgrin
Having grown up amongst slaves and ogres, Tahara's vocabulary is severely limited. She's been slowly acquiring new words, but still uses the basic ones when speaking herself. So not "ruminated" but "thought", not "gazed" but "looked". On top of that, Tahara's speech is a little slow, almost appearing lazy or sleepy, except when something so exciting is happening, that her nervous nature speeds everything up.
Another downside of her upbringing is that the experiments conducted on her mind in early childhood led to what was essentially excessive torture at a young age - and a lot of screaming. As such, Tahara's voice is a little rough, even for orcish standards, sounding permanently hoarse (or "smoky", if you're into that sort of thing).

The biggest inspiration for Tahara's voice was Aggralan, Thrall's mate.

Srelok

• Path of Cunning
  • Alpha
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 06:03:36 PM »
Screw it, here goes:

Grimtide, as a result of his lonesome upbringing and not exactly high self esteem, is actually fairly soft spoken. He's above average in intelligence which means he has a tendency to use large words for simple things. His voice itself is fairly deep for his slighter stature and he tends to speak slowly, in a calm manner instead of a lazy one.

I have no real voice inspiration apart from perhaps Drek'thar in WoD, in hindsight his voice matches fairly well.

"If you could pour pain into a mold of an orc and then cut off its foot to piss it off, you’d get Srelok." Gulrok Ragehowl

Varokh

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 11:26:47 PM »
This is something I can get hind! I always like to have a voice in mind when it comes to creating a character just for that added immersion.

Varokh Dreadmaw
Though he isn't an Orc of many words, when he does speak, Varokh is clear and well-spoken. Because of this, his intelligence may not be apparent to most but he certainly does hold a good amount, more than some may think. As a result, his vocabulary is quite diverse. His voice carries with it a low rumble, along with a slight gravelly tone to it. It is a gruff voice but by no means a very deep one. When he speaks, it carries a strong tone to it and often quite a demanding one at that.

For Varokh i'm going to use Hanzo Hasashi (aka Scorpion in his human form) from Mortal Kombat. This hits closet to home for me though I like to imagine it being a bit deeper than his.

&t=58s

Bamm

• Path of Cunning
  • Alpha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 01:06:16 AM »
I'll add Bamm's voice in case you havent guessed he's sweet, dumb and  goblin'eske but savant with explosives and engineering. Think